Meeting Mr. Winston

Dinner was delicious. Darry made fried chicken and after we ate I did the dishes. Soda tried to stop me but I insisted.

"I have to go, thanks for letting me stay for dinner," I said. When I got to the gate I saw Ponyboy run out of the house.

"Can't have you getting jumped like Johnny did, now can I," he said.

"Oh I didn't know, is that why I don't see him at school?" I asked.

"Yeah, they almost killed him. The guy had a bunch of rings on and he was crying by the time we got there. He hasnt set foot in school since, " he sighed.

"Wow, I would be scared shitless of socs by now," I continued.

"We all are, even Darry. He doesn't admit it though," Pony said.

A car drove past, a car too fancy to belong to the east side. I grabbed Ponyboy's hand in worry but the car didn't stop so it didn't mean any trouble.

We arrived at my house and when the gate opened my dad arrived at the door. I heard Ponyboy gulp beside me and I stiffled a giggle. It never registered with me that anyone could be scared of my Dad. My Dad, the doctor who could even make terminally ill patients smile. I realised that I had never talked about my dad to the gang so Pony probably had his own ideas about meeting Mr. Winston.
____________
Pony's POV
==========
The fact that I was scared by the silhouette of the man I knew to be
Y/n's Dad didn't make me feel too hot.

"Hey Doll, I was worried about you," Her Dad called.

Oh great he is going to think that I was the one that kept her out late, which I was. We were just working our project though... Well mostly working on our project.

I tapped her on the shoulder and mouthed that I should go. She giggled and pulled me up to the top of her garden. Her dad stepped out into the porch light. He wore a long white coat over closed beige trousers. A doctor, you don't see many doctors living on this side of town.

"I know you said not to wait up for dinner but I wasn't sure. Does you or your friend want anything? I'm probably just gonna order takeaway," he said with a kind smile.

"Thanks Dad, but I ate at Pony's house," y/n answered sweetly.

"Uhh, what do you mean by Pony?" her Dad asked confusedly.

I stepped forward and put my hand out in front of me.

"Ponyboy Curtis sir. It's my real name though most people just call me Pony. I have a brother called Sodapop, it says so on his birth certificate and all," I rambled nervously.

"Well it is a pleasure to meet you Pony, I am Dr. Harold Winston, though you can call me Harry," Harry reached out and shook my hand firmly.

"Do you want to come in?" y/n asked.

"No thanks, if I'm not home soon Darry will get mad. I will see you at school y/n," I said and started walking.

Before I got to the gate I heard Harry call my name. I turned around slowly and saw that he was closing the door behind him as he stepped into the porch. He came up to me.

"I just want to say thank you, for bringing my daughter home safe. You seem like a nice kid," he put his hand on my shoulder.

I thought about y/n being hurt on Sunday night. "Only if he knew," I thought to myself.

"I am what I seem,sir... Oh I mean Harry," I corrected myself.

I closed the gate and walked in the direction of my house.
______________________
Your POV the nxt day
==================
I got changed into blue jeans and a red Reebok polo shirt. Went downstairs my dad is sitting at the counter drinking a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper I made myself a bowl of cereal.

When I got to school I was late beacause I helped my Dad do a crossword puzzle. We were halfway through when I realised that I would miss my first class if I didnt run.

When I got into school I ran to science class and just made it on time. I sat in the only free seat and looked who I was sitting beside "Johnny!" I said in suprise but then the teacher came in.

It was a movie day in Science today. Teacher pulled in a fairly new TV from the hallway with help from the janitor. He turned on a documentary about ecolocation. I passed a note to Johnny saying "Is this your first day since you got the scar?" with a yes box and a no box at the bottom.

I didn't want to mention him getting jumped incase it brought back bad memories.

He read the note and passed in back to me with a tick in the 'Yes' box.