Operation: Hospital Break Out

I was brought into a hospital room similar to the one I was in after I got jumped. As I opened my eyes I saw my Dad pacing around the room. He only paces when he's worried, like when my Mom was sick.

"Dad?" my voice was a little hoarse.

"Y/n! You're awake," he smiled and then rushed over to me.

"Yeah," I coughed "So, how bad am I doc?"

"Um, your forearms have second degree burns and your lungs are weakened from the smoke. You're lucky Doll," He rubbed my singed hair before continuing.

"Ponyboy only has minor burns and Dally inhaled alot of smoke, he'll be ok but Johnny..." My Dad looked down.

I could hear my heart rate monitor beeping faster than it was before. "Dad, what about Johnny?" I feared the worst as I looked up at my Dad.

He held my hand and looked at me.
"He's alot worse hun, severe burns everywhere. Even if he survives, he won't be the same."

I stared at the wall thinking of the fact that he said 'if'. In the little time that I've known Johnny, I have grown to trust him more than I trusted any of my friends in New York.

————————––—————————

I woke at around midday due to the painkillers that the hospital gave me.

Then a nurse with a clipboard came in and told me her name was Evelyn and that she was going to do breathing exercises with me to strengthen my lungs. I knew that they might not ever be fully healed but I would rather not cough up a lung every time that I tried to talk.

A few hours after she left, a different nurse came in the room and said that I had visitors. I told her to let them in and shortly afterwards, Ponyboy walked in the room followed by Two-Bit.

"Hey Guys, how are ya?" I smiled at them and sat up.

Ponyboy walked over to me and kissed my forehead. He put both of his hands around one of mine.

"I'm alright y/n but look," Two-Bit threw a newspaper on the bed "Y'all are famous,"

I looked at the frontpage. There was 4 photos of Dally, Ponyboy, Johnny and I with the headline Juvenile Delinquents turned heroes. As I read the editorial Ponyboy spoke to me for the first time since the fire.

"Yeah we have a court date and all. Even Cherry Valance is on our side," he said. I shivered at the mention of Cherrys name but blamed it on the open window.

"You'll win love, I can feel it," I smiled.

"Let's hope we win tonight, aswell," Two-Bit cracked his knuckles.

I looked at him in confusion but then it hit me, The rumble. It was ironic that the last time I spoke about the rumble, I was also in a hospital bed.

"Yeah, they deserve whats coming for them. Two, Pony you have to promise me somethin' but you have to promise before I tell you what it is," I said.

They gave each other a 'This wont end well look' but with a bit more persuasion, they gave in and both promised.

"Ok so," I lowered my voice to a whisper as I told them the plan.

"You know that he won't do it, y/n. I mean he will try to sneak out but when it comes to you, no chance. What Dallas wants, Dallas gets," Ponyboy said.

I nodded and my brows furrowed in thought, "He will, trust me. We need to do it for Johnny, man. Oh and Two-Bit, please give Dal your switch when he asks for it. I promise that I'll get it back to you."

_______________________________________

It was around sunset when I started waiting for Dallas and the golden light made the white hospital walls shine. I thought of my date with Ponyboy and the hill with trees on it. We were so oblivious then about what was about to happen.

It was an hour or two later when Dally actually turned up. He was not at my door like I expected, but at my window. He knocked on it twice.

I walked over and opened the window. "What the fuck Dallas, we're on the second floor!" I pulled him inside.

"C'mon there's a tree right outside, you won't die," he rolled his eyes.

"Well it won't be the first time that I've been close to death... Or the second but I'm not stupid enough to climb out of a second story window!" I crossed my arms.

"I guess I'll have to go to the rumble alone," Dally climbed back out the window and onto a tree branch.

"Dallas!" As I peered out the window I saw him hop out of the tree and to the ground. He took one last look at me before running away from the hospital.

"I swear to god Dallas," I muttered as I hooked one leg over the windowsill.

I heard a door opening and I quickly turned. My Dad stood there with his mouth wide open.