Getting Too Real

_________________________
Your POV The next day
=====================

It was Monday, the day I was dreading. My Dad asked me if I wanted to skip for the day but I declined for two reasons.

The First, I was done with being in the house. I wanted to go outside and learn stuff. The second, I decided that the quicker I make my public appearance as 'the "murder's" girlfriend' the better.

I looked in my vanity and laughed at my dramaticness. I was wearing the flannel that used to be Ponyboy's and some black skinny jeans.

I slung my backpack over one shoulder and trodded down the stairs.

My Dad was asleep on the couch. Must've fell asleep after I beat him at poker and went to bed.

I kissed him on the forehead and went to school.

--------------------------------------------------------

I turned the corner and the previously noisy school entrance fell silent. People stopped their conversations and their eyes turned to me. I pretended that I didn't notice and kept my head up high.

Whispers surrounded me like a crowd so I could only catch snippets of sentences.

"She's in the Curtis gang," one persom whispered.

"Do you think that she had anything to do with... Well yanno," one girl said, clutching her books.

"She has to have something to do with it. Her cousin is Dallas Winston and she's with that Ponyboy guy," her friend replied.

I walked through the doors, ingnored the staring and got into my first class. English. It was only when I sat down that I remembered about the project on Edgar Allen Poe.

"Shit," I said under my breath.

Mr. Symes walked in a moment later before looking at me and calling me outside the door.

"I know that Ponyboy isn't here and... Well won't be for a while," he started.

"Would it kill you just to say that you think he killed that soc!" I said but only in my head. Instead I just nodded.

"So, I would understand if you didn't have the project completed by tomorrow," he continued.

"No, Mr Syme it's ok... The project is almost done anyway and I don't mind presenting by myself," That was a complete lie but I need something to take my mind off... Well, everything.

We both went back into the classroom just as the bell rang.

---------------------------------------------------------

At lunch I got some soup and sat down on a table with Two-Bit and Steve when I sat down Two engulfed me in a hug.

"Sup to you too Two-Bit," I giggled.

"Ah shut up," he responded.

A couple of people were staring at us but they quickly turned away after Steve told them to piss off.

"Soda told me that we're gonna be taken in for questioning tomorrow," Steve said in between bites of his sandwich.

"Wait really? God it's gettin' a little too real," I rested my head against the table and tried to drown out all sound.

"You didn't get that from half the school starin'?" Two-Bit joked but I was too lost in thought to get it.

My brain went fuzzy and my breathing went heavy. There was a pounding in my head and it was like I was drowning in a sea of confusion and thoughts. I looked up, Two-Bit checked my temperature and asked me a question. I didn't hear it, actually any sound at all sounding like they were talking behind triple-glazed windows.

Steve took one of my arms and Two took the other. They lifted me off the chair and took me to the nurses office. The nurse was on her lunch break so they got me to sit on the table and gave me a glass of water.

When I calmed down and the world went back to normal I started talking again, "It's getting all too real. I mean about Johnny. Johnnycake who wouldn't hurt a fly actually took someone's life... It was like a bad dream before but now with the questioning and the staring. Reality is kicking in, yanno?"

They looked at each other and back at me.

"I know... My best friend is openly sad for the first time, ever and everything has gone upside down," Steve said.

I thought about it for a moment. Steve, opening up, that's new one.

Then it registered what he said. Sodapop is sad, I made a mental note to drop down to the Curtis's.

Two-Bit cracked a joke which made us all laugh. Then the nurse came back in and asked me what happened.

When the nurse let me go I only had 1 class left. Eh, why not ditch.

I'm back baby :) funny story, today in school I got pulled outside the door beacause I set my kahoot name to 'urmomsamilf'