Rats!

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 10

𝙄𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙝𝙪𝙧𝙩, 𝙝𝙪𝙧𝙩 '𝙚𝙢 𝙗𝙖𝙘𝙠, 𝙄𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙠𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙙... 𝙒𝙖𝙡𝙠 𝙞𝙩 𝙤𝙛𝙛-𝘾𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙖𝙞𝙣 𝘼𝙢𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙘𝙖

                                                 ♛♛♛

                                                 ♛♛♛

                                              Blazepaw

Bluestar stood and began to pad toward Mothermouth. Tigerclaw walked beside her, matching her strides step for step.

"Come on, Ravenpaw!" called Graypaw.

Ravenpaw was still sitting on the rock, staring up at the rocks. At Graypaw's words, he stood up and followed slowly. Both Firepaw and I realized he hadn't said a word the whole journey. Maybe he was nervous. Who knows.

It took the cats only a few moments to reach Mothermouth. Firepaw and I stood on the threshold and peered inside. The blackness beyond the stone archway was darker than the cloudiest night. I narrowed my eyes, trying to see where the tunnel led, but I couldn't see a thing. Even with my awesome eyesight, I couldn't see a thing.

Beside us, Graypaw and Ravenpaw craned their heads nervously around the entrance. Even Tigerclaw seemed unsettled by the black hole ahead of them. 

"How will we find our way in such darkness?" he asked.

"Follow my scent," Bluestar said as she transformed into her cat form. "Ravenpaw and Graypaw, you will guard the entrance. Tigerclaw, Firepaw, and Blazepaw will accompany me."

Tigerclaw transformed as well. His tail swept over my stomach. I got hold of his neck fur and swung my leg over his back. Tigerclaw shook his mighty head and padded after Bluestar. With a brief nod to the other apprentices, Firepaw followed.

Halfway there, he made a grunting sound and it tickled my legs because of the vibration. I covered my mouth to smother my giggles. The farther we got in the tunnel the colder it got. I hugged onto Tigerclaw's warm fur. He must've sensed my shivers because he fluffed his fur twice its size.

We were walking along a tunnel that sloped down and down, winding first one way and then the other. I could hear Tigerclaw's whiskers brushing the side of the cave, telling him where to walk and where to turn. Firepaw was right behind Bluestar. Once in a while, she would brush her tail against his hand to tell him she was still there.

I could smell peat, and prey, and the scent of heather. There must be a hole somewhere in the roof of the tunnel. 

"Where are we?" I ask into the darkness.

"We've entered the cavern of the Moonstone," replied Bluestar's soft voice, "Wait here. It will be Moonhigh soon."

Suddenly, in a flash more blinding than the setting sun, the cave was lit up. Firepaw and I's eyes were wide open after the blackness of the tunnel. I closed them quickly against the cold, white light. Then slowly I opened them into tiny slits and peered ahead.