Training assessment

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 7
𝙎𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙙𝙞𝙛𝙛𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙛𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙖𝙢𝙚 𝙜𝙖𝙧𝙙𝙚𝙣

                                                       ♛♛♛By the following morning, a thin drizzle soaked the treetops and dripped down into the camp

                                                       ♛♛♛
By the following morning, a thin drizzle soaked the treetops and dripped down into the camp. I awoke to feel drowsy and gloomy. This is going to be a great day! Note to sarcasm. I did my morning routine and headed outside. I met Firepaw outside and we went into Yellowfang's cabin.

Yellowfang was just stirring. She lifted her head and squinted at Firepaw and I as we approached. "My bones ache this morning. Has it been raining all night?"

"Just after midnight. Why don't you move to the nursery? It's warmer in there and I bet the queens would be okay with it if you don't snap at their kids," I suggested

"With all those crying babies? I'd rather sleep in a mud puddle," growled Yellowfang rudely.

"Then at least let us fetch you some dry bedding," Firepaw offered, seeming keen to drop the subject of kids if it upset the old woman so much. 

"Thank you, Firepaw and Blazepaw" replied Yellowfang quietly, settling down again.

Both Firepaw and I exchange glances with wide eyes. She hadn't called us humans. Yellowfang opened one eye and growled.

"Don't stand there like stupid squirrels!" This was more like the Yellowfang we were used to. 

I nodded and sprinted off. We almost crashed into Speckletail in the middle of the clearing. This was the queen who had watched Yellowfang's angry outburst at the little kid the day before.

 "Sorry, Speckletail," Firepaw says. "Are you on your way to see Yellowfang?"

"What would I want with that unnatural creature?" replied Speckletail crossly. "Actually it's you guys I was looking for. Bluestar wants to see you two."

Firepaw and I hurried toward the Highrock and Bluestar's den. When we came in, she was trying to tame her wild hair. She paused when she noticed Firepaw and I. 

"How is Yellowfang today?" she says.

"Her bedding is wet, so we were going to fetch her more," I replied. 

"I'll ask one of the queens to see to that." Bluestar gave her hair another brush and then eyed Firepaw and I carefully. 

"Is she fit enough to hunt for herself yet?" she asked. 

"I don't think so," Firepaw says, "but she can walk well enough now."

"I see," says Bluestar. She looked thoughtful for a moment. "It is time for you to return to your training, Firepaw, and Blazepaw. But you'll need to work hard to make up for the time you have lost."