Nightmares

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 6
𝙄𝙩𝙨 𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙖 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙢𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙧𝙚𝙣'𝙩 𝙖𝙨𝙡𝙚𝙚𝙥

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 6𝙄𝙩𝙨 𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙧𝙤𝙢 𝙖 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙢𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙧𝙚𝙣'𝙩 𝙖𝙨𝙡𝙚𝙚𝙥

"I'd go and see to Yellowfang if I were you," whispered Graypaw, as Darkstripe strode away. "She's doesn't look very happy." 

We glanced over at the old woman. She was still lying beside the Highrock. Graypaw was right; she was glaring at us. 

"Well, here goes," Firepaw says. "Wish me luck!" 

"You'll need the whole of StarClan on your side for this one," answered Graypaw. "Call out if you need a hand. If she looks like she's going to have you, I'll sneak up behind her and whack her on the head with a stiff rabbit."

I couldn't help but giggle. Firepaw smiled and trotted off towards Yellowfang. I followed. Obviously, she wasn't in a good mood.

"Stop right there, humans!" she hissed a warning and showed her teeth.

"You can call me what you like," says Fierpaw wearily. "I'm just following Bluestar'sorders." 

"You are pets, though, aren't you?" Yellowfang wheezed.

There was less fire in her voice, although her spite was as strong as ever. "Was your mother a human? Was your father a human?"

"Yes, they were." Firepaw looked down at the ground. It was bad enough that members of our own Clan still viewed us as an outsider. I nodded as well.

Yellowfang seemed to take his silence as an invitation to go on. "Human blood is not the same as warrior blood. Why don't you run home to your parents now instead of looking after me? It's humiliating, being fussed over by a lowborn person like you!"

My patience ran out quickly. I snarled, "You'd still feel humiliated if I were warrior-born. You'd feel ashamed whether I was a precious girl from your own Clan or a wretched human that had picked you off the ground." I clenched and unclenched my fists. "It's the fact that you need to rely on any person that you find so humiliating!"

I carried on fiercely: "You're just going to have to get used to being cared for until you are well enough to look after yourself, you spiteful old bone bag!"

Yellowfang made a wheezing sound, and for a second I thought she was dying. But she threw her head back and howled with laughter.

"You have spirit, human," Yellowfang croaked, stopping at last. "Now, I'm tired and my leg hurts. I need sleep and something to put on this wound. Go and find that pretty little medicine person of yours and ask her for some herbs. I think you'll find a goldenrod poultice would help. And, while you're at it, I Wouldn't mind a few poppy seeds to chew on. The pain is killing me!"

Stunned by her change of mood, I turned quickly and sprinted toward Spottedleaf's den. Once I got there I told Spottedleaf the list of herbs Yellowfang had listed. Might as well help Firepaw.