The plan

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 15
𝗤𝘂𝗶𝘁𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝗻 𝗼𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻. 𝗙𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗼𝗻.

                                                       ♛♛♛

                                                       ♛♛♛

I could tell there were several cats in the patrol, traveling fast. I couldn't recognize the cats' individual scents through the earthy bog odors, but I knew it was ThunderClan. I held my breath as the paw steps raced past and away. 

"Are we really going to try to rescue the kits from ShadowClan alone?" whispered Graypaw. Yellowfang answered him first. 

"I might be able to find us some help from inside ShadowClan. Not all the cats support Brokenstar."

That caught my interest. I pricked my ears to listen.

"When he became leader," Yellowfang explained, "Brokenstar forced the elders to leave the security of the inner camp. They had to live on the boundary and hunt for themselves. These are cats who have grown up with the warrior code. Some of them might help us."

"Good," I reply with a strong voice, "We need all the help we can get."

Yellowfang looked proud of my determinedness. 

"And I might be able to persuade the ThunderClanhunting party to help us too," Firepaw meowed. "If I can speak to them before they see Yellowfang, I might be able to make them believe her story. Graypaw, you wait at the dead ash, where we smelled the kit blood, till one of us returns."

Graypaw looked worried. "But do you really trust Yellowfang to bring back help?" he murmured.

Firepaw opened his jaws to reply but my angry response was all he heard. "She's already proven herself; she doesn't need to do it again."

Graypaw looked surprised but didn't object.

Firepaw and I sprinted to the patrol. They didn't bother not hiding their scent. I could tell they were angry. They had every right to be but not at Yellowfang. Overhead, the thick layer of cloud had finally rolled away. Beyond the treetops, Silverpelt glittered across the night sky. The moon was just rising, but its cold light couldn't pierce the mist that clung to the shadowy undergrowth.

Somehow I had managed to memorize Tigerclaw's scent. I lifted my nose and inhaled the ThnderClan cats' scents. No Tigerclaw. Good. It needs to stay that way. We caught up to them and halted dright behind them.

They spun around with bared teeth and bristling fur. Darkstripe was with them and the young she-cat Mousefur, as well as the tabby warrior Runningwind. Mousefur wasn't the only she-cat in the patrol—Willowpelt was there too. I could understand why Mousefur would want to be here. I only talked with her once but she told me she had a rough time with kits. She said Longtail tried desperately but it was to no avail.