The rescue

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 14
𝗔 𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗶𝗼𝗿 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗮 𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘀𝗼𝗹𝗱𝗶𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝗮𝗹𝗹

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 14𝗔 𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗶𝗼𝗿 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗮 𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘀𝗼𝗹𝗱𝗶𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝗮𝗹𝗹

                                                              ♛♛♛

Firepaw, Graypaw, Lilypaw, and I retraced our steps back into ThunderClan territory. All of us were bone-weary and wet but we kept the pace. The storm was beginning to move away. A ThunderClan patrol would be out soon and on Yellowfang's trail. We had to find her first.

Even though the black thunderclouds were beginning to roll away toward the horizon, the sky was still dark. I guessed it must be sunset.

"Why don't we head straight into ShadowClan territory?" suggested Graypaw as we ran down the steep hillside into Fourtrees. 

"We need to pick up Yellowfang's scent first," Firepaw explained. 

"I just hope it won't lead to the ShadowClan camp."  and I finished. 

Graypaw glanced sideways at us, but didn't reply. We headed back over the stream, into ThunderClan territory. There was no scent of Yellowfang until we crossed into the oak woods close to the camp. Now that the rain had finally stopped, the scents around us were beginning to return. I hoped that the rain had not washed away Yellowfang's trail completely. I stopped and brushed at a fern with the tip of my nose, and recognized the familiar smell. Yellowfang's fear-scent prickled in my nostrils. 

"She came this way!" I meowed.

We pushed our way through the wet undergrowth. The rain was easing, and the thunder was fading into the distance. Time was running out. Firepaw and I pushed on faster.

To our dismay, I realized Yellowfang's scent was indeed leading us straight to ShadowClan territory. My heart sank. Did this mean Tigerclaw's accusations were true? I wouldn't let him be right. For once I don't love Tigerclaw. I began to hope that each new smell would take us in a different direction, but the trail was unfaltering.

They arrived at the Thunderpath and halted. Several cars roared by, throwing up fountains of dirty water. We hung back from the edge of the wide, gray track until there was a gap. Then we raced across the path and into ShadowClan territory. 

The scent markers that lined the border made my paws tingle. Graypaw halted and looked around nervously. 

"I always thought I'd have a few more warriors with me when I finally entered ShadowClan territory," he confessed. 

"Not afraid, are you?" Firepaw murmured. 

"Aren't you? My mother warned me about the stench of ShadowClan many times."

"And my mother taught me no such things," Firepaw spat scornfully.

We trailed on. Yellowfang's scent-trail led us steadily into the heart of ShadowClan's hunting grounds. The woods here were gloomy, the undergrowth crowded with nettles and brambles.