Finding WindClan

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 5
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗻𝘀 𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝘇𝗼𝗻𝗲.
-𝗥𝗼𝘆 𝗧. 𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗻𝗲𝘁𝘁

                                                             ♛♛♛

                                                             ♛♛♛

I waited until the only sound I could hear was the pounding of blood in my ears. Then I urged Midnight to the edge of the road. It stretched ahead of me, wide and foul-smelling, but silent. I give Midnight a good kick and she cantered across. I didn't stop until I reached the grass on the other side. The air here was tainted by the acrid smell of the road and its cars, so I headed toward the hedge. Still, there was no trace of the WindClan cats. I swallowed the lump in my throat. Suddenly a car tore past, making Mightnight leap into the air with terror. I pulled on her reigns and pushed my heels down.

Then I smelled it: the faintest trace carried on the wind that the car had stirred up. WindClan hadbeen here! I called as loudly as I could to Graystripe. There was a pause, then the sound of hoofs pounding across the road to join me. 

"Have you found it?" puffed Graystripe. 

"Not sure. I got a whiff, but I can't pinpoint it." I pushed my way through the hedge, Graystripe, and Fireheart right behind me. Fireheart lifted his nose toward the open field ahead of them. 

"Have you any idea what's over there?" he nodded his head.

"No," replied Graystripe. "I shouldn't think any Clan person has ever been this far before." 

"Except WindClan," muttered Fireheart darkly. I look down and sighed. The trail was suddenly clear from the confusing fumes of the road. WindClan had definitely come this way. 

The three of us struck out through the long grass, straight across the field. 

"Blazefur!" Graystripe sounded alarmed. 

"What is it?" I sat up.

"Look!" Fireheart stopped and lifted his head too. I saw a road ahead of them arching high into the air on massive stone legs, illuminated by the eyes of the cars that moved along it. Another road ran below, veering off into the darkness. Graystripe nodded toward a tall thistle. 

"And smell this!" I inhaled the scent. It was a fresh WindClan marker! 

"They must have settled somewhere near here!" Graystripe murmured in disbelief.

"At least we're on the right track. We can't turn back now." I say.

Great StarClan, I really hope we find them.

"Me too," Fireheart murmured beside me.

I turned to look at him but he beat me to it. "You talk out loud sometimes."

My face heats up. Other than embarrassment, I was feeling excited and anxious at the same time. We looked silently at each other for a moment. Then, without a word, we moved on toward the stinking roads. Graystripe spoke at last.