XVIII

"Mr. Faulkner, are you paying attention" Professor Smith asked as he stopped in front of Alexander.

"Yes, I am, Sir" Alexander replied, even though he hadn't been.

"Then what are we talking about" he asked coldly.

"C-Calculus" Alexander replied shakily.

"Obviously, what specifically" he asked.

"I-I don't know," Alexander said, wanting to hide.

"You have detention tonight then" he replied before walking back to the front of the class.

Alexander sighed, not realizing that it was loud and Smith turned around.

"Do you have a problem with that, Mr. Faulkner" he asked coldly.

"N-No, Sir" Alexander squeaked.

"Obviously you do, so say it" he snapped.

"I need to go" Alexander whispered as he stood and started throwing his books into his bag.

"Where do you think you're going" Smith asked angrily.

"I need to go" he whispered, grabbing his bag and running from the room.

Alexander ran out of the room, trying to make it to Tom's classroom. Stopping in an alcove, he tried to catch his breath. As he slid down the wall, he could feel himself begin to lose control again. Sending a quick message to Tom to come and get him, he pulled his knees tightly into his chest, hiding his face in his knees.

Tom sighed as he heard a buzz from his phone. He paused mid-lecture and walked over to his desk and looking at the message, he sighed before looking at his class.

"Start working on tonight's assignment, I'll be back in fifteen minutes" Tom said before walking out and towards the alcove that Alexander ran to the day he came out.

Tom smiled sadly seeing him curled up against the wall and knelt down beside him.

"Baby, what's the matter" Tom asked gently as he lifted Alexander's head up.

"W-What's wrong w-with me? Why can't I f-focus like I used to" he gasped out, closing his eyes as he leaned into Tom's hand.

"Because you've been under a lot of stress and you have an anxiety disorder," Tom said gently, sitting beside him and pulled Alexander onto his lap.

"I-I got detention t-tonight" he squeaked, hiding his face in Tom's chest as he started sobbing.

"How," Tom asked softly, stroking his hair, hoping it would calm him down a bit.

"I-I couldn't focus in Smith's class and h-he got angry" he squeaked.

"I'll talk to him then. He shouldn't be treating you like this" Tom replied, lifting his head up gently.

"I-It's my fault. I-I should have been paying attention" he squeaked as he looked up at Tom.

"You shouldn't be punished for something you can't control," Tom said softly.

"B-But..." he squeaked but was stopped as Tom shushed him.

"Please, believe me when I say this isn't your fault. Yes, you made a couple of bad decisions but you also were doing what you needed to do for your family" Tom replied.

He nodded tiredly as he clung to Tom, feeling exhausted as he curled up into him.

"Are you okay, baby" Tom asked, looking down at the smaller man in his lap.