V

Late June:

Alexander sighed as he woke up only to see that he had fourteen missed calls, all from out of the country. 

"That's really strange" he thought to himself and went to call the number back when he heard the doorbell ring from downstairs. 

He got up and hurried down the stairs, hoping he got there before Brendan did.  As he opened the door he paled, seeing two detectives standing there. 

"Alexander Faulkner" one of them asked, pulling out his badge.

"What's the matter" Alexander asked, stepping out on the porch before shutting the door behind him so that Brendan wouldn't hear their conversation if he came downstairs.

"Good morning, I'm Constable Lewis and this is Constable Wright.  We're here to inform you of the unfortunate news that your parents have disappeared off the coast of Kolkata last night.  We understand if you need time to process this, but is it possible that we can further discuss this inside" he asked and nodded towards the closed door. 

"How... How is this possible?  I talked to them last night and they were fine" Alexander asked, wrapping his arms around himself from the cold, not wanting Brendan to hear this.

"They went out on an expedition of some sort and never returned to shore.  Do you know why they were even in India" he asked, trying to figure this boy out.

"They went to do charity work, for an organization to help victims of human trafficking.  They had just donated a large sum of money to this organization, and you're telling me that they disappeared under mysterious circumstances" Alexander asked, suspicious of all of this.

"We understand what you are probably thinking but we need your cooperation in order to have a chance at finding them.  Here's my card, I'll contact you later, but take some time to talk to your brother and collect yourself.  At the moment we are not presuming them dead, but we don't have much evidence they are alive either" he said, pulling a card out of his coat and handing it to Alexander.

Alexander took it, trying to keep his voice from shaking as he asked, "Thank you.  What time should I expect you to call?"

"Probably about twelve.  After we can set a time to meet up.  Thank you for being cooperative" he said and outstretched his hand.

Alexander eyed it warily before shaking it, before wrapping his arms back around himself.  He waited on the porch as the pair left and didn't go back inside until he could no longer see them on the street.  He took a deep breath as he opened the door, trying to prepare himself to tell Brendan. 

"Alexander, are they really gone" Brendan asked from behind the door as tears slid down his cheeks.

"They are trying everything they can but I don't know if they'll make it back" Alexander said, trying to keep his voice even as he hugged his now shaking brother. 

"What are we going to do" Brendan asked quietly.

"You are going to focus on getting ready for school to start back up.  I'll take care of the other stuff" Alexander said softly, knowing he only had to hold it together for a little while longer. 

"But how are we going to survive" he asked.

"I'll look to see what we have in inheritance and go from there.  You'll be included in all legal decisions though.  It's your future as much as it is mine" Alexander sighed. 

"O-Oh, okay.  I'm going to get breakfast" he said and finally let go of Alexander before heading to the kitchen.

Alexander just nodded before heading back upstairs to his room.  He shut and locked the door behind him and just slid down the door, letting himself grieve.  He didn't want to admit it but, he knew deep down that they were probably dead.  He knew they were involved in a lot of things, some which they never told him, but he'd heard their late night conversations.  The things they never told him and of the people they worked with in secret.