『 50 』

❝A King's Checkmate❞- - -

A King's Checkmate
- - -

M - Excessive violence ahead.

"Where is Celena Phoebe heading off to?"

His eyes slowly lifted away from the floor, locking onto a nearing figure. As soon as Levi understood who it was, something snapped within his chest, and he sent the man crashing to the ground with a violent punch meeting his stomach.

In the background, Hanji gasped, "Levi! Don't!"

The raven ignored her, ominously watching Alecto groan and spit to the side.

It was rare for him to be this angry. After his former life as an Underground thug, Levi barely regulated others with actions. Disregarding his preferred method of ending squabbles and that brat Eren, who was both his responsibility and a thorn in his side, the Captain resorted to glares or chore duties as punishments. It was always enough to send even the bravest soldier running, the underlying threat behind his voice and in his hues promising pain to come if they didn't obey.

But he couldn't order the Military Police Commander to clean the stables, nor could he pin him down with his infamous chilling glare. Alecto was one of the few immune to that. So Levi resorted to the next choice; violence.

"Pain is the best tool for discipline. You can't be educated by words."

"H - How dare you..." Alecto managed to stutter out, flinching away when Levi raised his boot.

"Why? I'm simply imitating you." His emotionless tone made the surrounding soldiers, both the Survey Corps and Military Police members alike, take a step back. "Holding your fat Sina nose high, only dropping it to bring down others." Levi's voice lowered to a menacing whisper. "Every time your name falls from her lips, you turn out to be a bigger disappointment than before."

Ah, It all finally made sense to Alecto. You know about it. Of course, you know.

"Tch, this is like you, isn't it? Kicking down someone already on the ground?" Levi continued. "I should make sure you never look down at anyone again, pig."

"Levi," Hanji had reached them, putting herself between the two men. "Enough."

Being one of the few who knew about Levi's mark and past, she was aware of what Alecto could do to punish her friend. He was much higher in rank, being the Military Police Commander, and even if Historia was Queen, she couldn't dominate the courts against Alecto. Not yet.

Thankfully, Levi knew not to push any further.

He lowered his foot, the rage in his chest lessening to a simmered annoyance. Turning away from the man on the floor and his comrade, Levi muttered, "It's pointless convincing him anyways."

An old dog cannot be taught new tricks.

But Alecto continued to surprise him as instead of snapping insults towards his back, he only sighed and accepted a hand from Hanji.