『 46 』

❝A Battle in Rod Reiss' Crystal Caverns❞- - -

A Battle in Rod Reiss' Crystal Caverns
- - -

The wagon clattered loudly below them.

It seemed to be slightly unstable, as every jolt made the vehicle jump unreliably -- but who was Hanji to refuse a gift from the new boss of the Reeves Company? In fact, she was extremely proud of it, having bragged about her new form of transportation earlier when they were all climbing aboard. Once or twice, Celena caught her smiling to herself after patting the sides of the wagon firmly.

Such a strange person, the ginger concluded, shrugging at Mikasa, who had been watching Hanji as well.

Levi didn't even bother to give the scientist a bit of attention; he preferred to ignore her weird antics, having been used to them after all these years as comrades.

As the Survey Corps group headed deeper into Rod Reiss's territory, deeper into the Orvud District, Mikasa took the time to catch up. "Hanji, you said that you might know where Eren and Historia are?"

Hanji's face became solemn. "Yeah, I'll explain." She placed a large book on her legs. "Erwin gave me this Scout investigation report regarding Lord Reiss' land. Most of it had to do with an incident six years ago that shook up the family."

"Six years ago?" Armin, who was designated the driver of the wagon, moderately turned his head to ask.

"Yeah. A year before Wall Maria was breached."

"T - The fire...?" Celena raised her head.

"That's right," Hanji furrowed her eyebrows at how she could've known but continued nonetheless. "I'll summarize the important bits from the beginning. As the lord of his territory, Rod Reiss didn't have a bad popular opinion. He had five children, his eldest being a girl called Frieda. But that night, six years ago, disaster struck. The investigation report says that some bandits raided and set fire to their family chapel. Unfortunately, that night, the Reiss family was inside, praying together. And so, the whole family, except for Rod Reiss, perished. They were massacred by the bandits."

As she heard the story for the second time, Celena began to play with the ends of her pigtails nervously. She could remember that day perfectly, as she was trying to visit Levi, Farlan, and Isabel to say goodbye when she overheard Rietman bash a Burgundy Reaper about it in the Underground District. Historia's family was burning alive that early morning... and if Historia truly escaped the chapel with Rod Reiss as the Reaper said, then...

She must hate that day as much as Celena does.

"In other words," The ginger tuned back to Hanji's voice, "Immediately after losing his family, Rod Reiss turned to Historia. There must be a reason why he and his lackeys are trying to find her after all these years of sending her away under a fake name."

"The same bloodline?" Levi spoke up from across Celena, having been intensively staring at his girlfriend's twitchy fingers. "Is there some secret to their blood?"