『 18 』

❝A Set of Warnings for a Ginger❞Past POV 6/10 - Y

A Set of Warnings for a Ginger
Past POV 6/10 - Y.843
Seven years prior.
- - -

"Go, Phoebe! Perfect! You're doing it. You're a professional!"

Isabel's encouraging words could be heard throughout the exaggeratedly large neighborhood beneath part of Wall Sina and part of Wall Rose.

The tiny ginger stood in front of a blonde man with steel-blue eyes, one of her close friends, her feet shifting the weight of her body ever so slightly. The air had a humid smell in it, mixed with what Celena knew as dirt and fresh rain. It surrounded her entire frame, entering her lungs as she took in deep breaths to calm down the galloping heart in her throat. Celena pushed back a strand of amber hair from her peripheral vision, keeping her eyes trained on Furlan. Her goal was to last five minutes without getting hit by the eighteen-year-old, and so far, it had been three minutes, twenty-two seconds, and counting.

Furlan moved quickly with precision. He sprinted beside her, 'knife' in hand, or a rectangular block of thin wood that they used with imagination, and swiped his arm in a horizontal motion. With a short squeal, Celena tried moving back, but as a consequence, her legs tripped over each other, and she fell on her behind.

No! Not yet!

It had been nine months since Celena had followed the little bird down into the depths of the Underground District and six months since Furlan and Levi's suggestion of training the petite girl into becoming agiler and more adapted to the dangers found deep below. Celena had proven herself worthy of Levi's teachings, but now was the time to see if she could use them correctly.

"Stop." Levi interrupted just as Furlan halted his weapon at Celena's neck.

Following the orders of who he deemed his leader, Furlan fell back with his behind resting on his heels and smiled at the teen in front of him. "You've gotten much better, Phoebe. I'm proud."

"But I fell... What did I do wrong, Levi?" She took Isabel's hand in order to stand, and the two girls helped Furlan up before facing the raven.

"Your stance. It's not what I taught you. Halfway through the fight, you forgot to keep the stance and fell over your feet." Levi tsked at her before sighing and placing his cold palm on her head. "But... You did well." He glanced away, feeling embarrassed for a split second.

"Thanks!"

A slight grin appeared on Furlan's face as he watched the two interact, with Isabel cheering around them. He wouldn't say with certainty that Levi saw the ginger as a younger sibling like Isabel; Furlan was convinced that Levi treated Isabel and Celena differently, even if he met them at the same time. When sharing his thoughts with Isabel, she called him crazy. But there was something different, and Furlan could tell. Maybe it was the look in Levi's eyes when entering into a conversation with her. Maybe how Levi's rigid posture relaxed whenever he saw Celena enter their home unharmed. Or maybe it was the silent interest Levi would develop whenever she offered him a gift.