『 34 』

❝A Plan Made Without Remorse❞- - -

A Plan Made Without Remorse
- - -

"Hey, Ginger."

Celena leaned away from her view beyond the window of the carriage to glance at Jean, who was sitting in front of her.

"Have you ever been to the Stohess District?" He asked in a hushed whisper, the wig on his head appearing more like the end of a mop than Eren's hair.

Celena nodded, replying, "Every S - Sunday."

"For what?"

"Church."

"I didn't know you went to church," Levi spoke up at her right, seeming off-put. "You worship the walls?"

Celena shook her head, slightly amused at the worried tone hidden within his voice.

Stohess District was the main district for the Church of the Walls, a religious organization where its members considered the walls to be sacred and untouchable. They truly assumed the walls were a gift from God; a gift sent to protect them from the harsh hands of titans.

However, throughout the years, especially after the fall of Wall Maria, the organization and its participants became... a bit radical with their ideas. They took themselves out of their churches, attacking military personnel who planned on building artillery on the walls and verbally abusing those who didn't believe. When Wall Maria was lost, the church didn't know what to do anymore, as its believers blamed others for its fall, ranting how it wouldn't have happened if everyone understood the wall's sacredness.

"Used to." She corrected, taking a good look at his face. "My m - mom forced me to."

After her daughter's marking, Annabeth used her religion as a way to try to fix Celena's sudden mutism. She would do everything in her power to get Celena out of the mansion every Sunday morning to go to church.

The ginger recognized her mother didn't mean any harm. She recognized that Annabeth was trying to help her the only way she knew how, yet in the end, those church visits did more damage than anything else. Especially since their lessons connected to past kings and queens of the walls; one of the queens was named Historia -- the exact name that Celena wanted to steer clear from hearing for the rest of her life.

Other than those horrifying Sunday mornings, Annabeth didn't fit the maniac stereotype the wall worshippers now have. She didn't try to spread the religion at all. The mother only went to the main church once a week and didn't speak of her time there after her visit. And Alecto never questioned it; Annabeth's religion was one of the things he didn't need to get into.

"Huh?" Jean snorted. "What do you mean forced?"

Celena shrugged, turning her head back to the window. Just like that, the conversation ended, with the doors that lead to her personal life shutting completely.