『 5 』

❝A Challenge for the Top Ten Positions❞1/3 Years in Enlistment - Y

A Challenge for the Top Ten Positions
1/3 Years in Enlistment - Y.848
One year subsequent.
- - -

"Name's Violet!"

It would've been another casual morning in the military if it wasn't for the sudden introduction.

Out of nowhere, a bustling girl with light eyes haltered Celena and Neo's path to the breakfast table. She could've been about a few centimeters taller than the ginger, but her most prominent feature was the clear contrast between her Asian and European ancestors.

"Oh, um, hello. I'm Neo, and this is - "

"Yeah, I know who she is!" Violet rushed forward to hold Celena's hands with her own.

Surprised by the sudden contact, Celena's eyes widened, and she instantly moved back, hiding her arms behind her body so Violet wouldn't get the urge to touch her again.

Violet must've noticed the panic in her amber hues as she nervously laughed. "Right... Ah, sorry. Annie did warn me about that... You know, for a girl who pretends not to care, she sure is perceptive."

"Annie?" Neo raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, her." Violet nodded towards the blonde sitting by herself in the distance. "The grump over there. A year flew by, and she still has no friends."

Celena slightly frowned at her words, knowing that if Annie had heard them, she wouldn't have been pleased.

Neo hummed in interest. "That's right... A quiet one, isn't she? Well, I'm going to go get breakfast and then join the others." He gave Violet a polite smile, "Nice meeting you."

"Likewise!"

The two newly-acquainted soldiers shared a knowing look, one Celena completely missed before Neo turned and strode away.

Despite what Celena may think, especially after how Violet interfered with her personal bubble, Neo knew that the new girl was harmless and potentially a future friend of his cousin. He hoped that Violet's outgoingness could help open Celena's shell.

After her mother's death, Celena barely visited her family, closing herself off in her room for a year. She was already struggling with trauma beforehand, something Neo had yet to learn about, but her mother was the last thing connecting her to the outside world. When Annabeth died, it was like a part of Celena died with her, the part that enjoyed spending her days in her backyard, sun on her face and hands planting flowers.

All of the flowers in their mansion are dead now, like most of Celena's feelings.

And perhaps Alecto was too busy to notice, or maybe he didn't even care at all. Either way, for the better part of a year, Celena mourned alone, with no one to talk to (or listen to, for that matter).

Celena's eyes widened at the thought of being abandoned without her older cousin, and she moved to follow him.

"Oh, don't worry about him!" Violet cut in her path again with a wide smile. "Let's go talk to Annie!" She turned her by the shoulders, pushing the reluctant ginger to the blonde.