『 43 』

❝A Pair of Sina Nightmares❞- - -

A Pair of Sina Nightmares
- - -

"Try not to walk in a cluster," Levi muttered as his squad shuffled through the crowded streets of Trost. "We'll stand out. Eren, Historia, just walk normally."

They traveled through the night to make it to Trost by morning. Even though they would've been tired, Levi knew it was the best course of action since the Interior Police were right on their tail. The trip also gave him enough time to devise a plan with Armin on how to protect Historia and Eren.

In fact, their plan was in play right now.

Levi split up his squad into two; the original members from Hanji's squad were ordered to look after the real Historia and Eren (which were transported secretly by carriage). They had to keep themselves out of sight, traveling by 3DMG on the roofs of apartments. While they did that, the remaining members of Levi's squad pretended to accompany a Jean and Armin in disguise (a disguise that Jean outwardly expressed his hatred for numerous times). Instead of using their 3DMG like the first team, this team resorted to traveling by foot during the busy hours of the day.

Armin hoped that if there was someone following after them to get Historia and Eren, they would fall for the trick and get the fake ones instead of the real ones. By the time their kidnappers realized their mistake, Levi and his comrades would ambush them to gain intel. Historia and Eren would escape successfully and arrive at Commander Pixis, who they learned from Hanji to be trustworthy.

"Why is the royal flag hanging everywhere?" Connie whispered loudly, confused.

"Oh! Today must be the anniversary of the King's coronation!" Sasha responded, her eyes lightening with curiosity. "Once a year, they hand out a haul of rations!"

"Wow..." Connie slowed down as he watched some Military Police cadets begin the haul.

"We'll begin handing out rations!" One of the soldiers yelled, holding up a wrapped piece of bread as an example, "King Fritz has heard of Trost District's hardship and will donate the royal family's reserves!"

"There's enough for everyone!" The second soldier spoke. "Line up orderly!"

"What a king! He sure is generous!" Sasha would've gotten in line if it wasn't for Mikasa holding her arm back.

"That's not his food reserve," Celena softly voiced from behind them. They all turned to face her. "King Fritz is gluten i - intolerant... He can't eat bread." She then pointed at the reserve the soldiers were passing out. "All bread."

"What, really?"

"It's the nobles'." Levi clicked his tongue. "They got more food than they know what to do with. They're just using their leftovers to gain support for the king. People are weak, especially when baited with food." He veered away from the scene of happy citizens, his mind focusing on the task at hand.