『 45 』

❝A Military Branch Found Innocent❞- - -

A Military Branch Found Innocent
- - -

She quietly watched him as he read through Neo's papers.

The couple was still outside, accompanied by the moonlight and the crickets' melodies that sang deep into the forest surrounding their temporary cottage. Celena had passed Neo's packet of information to Levi to reveal all she knew about Rietman. They scooched away from their original seated position on the steps, shoulder-to-shoulder, to place a small lantern between them and read comfortably.

When Levi finished reading all there was to read, he put the papers in a neat stack, back into the packet, and paused. "He's actually alive."

Celena couldn't trust her voice not to waver so she opted for a single nod.

"... And his first name truly is Naud? How shitty."

He was clearly joking to get her mind away from her compressing fears. It didn't work as she continued to list the ways Rietman could hunt her down and hurt her. Sure, she should be brave and strong about the matter (she did just spill her secrets) but it's hard not to be scared when she was terrorized by a man during her childhood. It put insecurities and irrational seeds in her head; destined to grow as toxic thoughts that would follow her for the rest of her life.

"Oi," He collectedly confronted her. "Look at me, Phoebe. I want you to focus on me."

She timidly played with her ginger locks. "I - I'm... I'm just - "

"He won't put his filthy hands on you ever again," Her boyfriend promised, gently pushing her fingers away from her hair. "And he'll regret doing so in the first place."

Levi Ackerman was lethally serious; she could see it in his eyes.

"...Thank you."

He assuredly nodded, giving her hands a soft squeeze before letting go. "I'll have to tell Hanji and the Commander about who he's going after."

Her heart instinctively jumped at the thought of other people knowing what happened. She didn't want her secrets shared with anyone other than who she trusted, but clarity and guilt forced her to look the other way. This situation affected Historia and the future royal family; not just Celena. Technically, she should be considered an accomplice to attempted murder, as she knew Rietman's plans and didn't speak on it for years, so it was best to stand aside. Letting Levi finally share her information was letting them protect Historia and maybe even herself.

"Tell them... T- They need to know." She agreed.

"Very well." Levi glanced up at the full moon contrasting the night sky.

It reminded him of his last night with Isabel and Farlan, where they all enjoyed each other's company and presence. A twitch threatened to bring his lips up into a small smile as he recalled Isabel's rambunctious laughter and Farlan's closed-mouthed snickers. As quickly as it came, it fell as intrusive thoughts about Celena's past returned to his mind. He momentarily wondered what their reaction would've been.