『 39 』

❝A Former 'Friend' Here to Stay❞- - -

A Former 'Friend' Here to Stay
- - -

He couldn't shake it off his mind.

As Neo sat there under the sun, watching his mother homeschool his younger sister in the backyard, his head caught itself in a scorching circle, looping to the familiar face he found during his Underground rounds. No matter where he looked, embers of repeating thoughts burned holes in his brain, thoughts that led him back to the dreadful day in 845.

The sandy blond hair, the scarily vivid green eyes... It confused him. It made him second guess his eyesight because Neo was sure that man died alongside his father and aunt almost six years ago.

"Neo!" He barely reacted to his name, staring at nearby flowers in thought. "Neo, for Wall Maria's sake, can you acknowledge my voice?!"

"Ack, sorry, Haku... What's up?"

"We finished for today. I'm returning indoors, are you just going to stay out here?"

"Yeah, I'll stay with mom."

Hakura raised an eyebrow at his words. "Mom's already inside, she even patted your shoulder when passing by." A mischievous grin grew on her lips. "Aww, is the age getting to you, brother? Suffering short-term memory loss?"

Neo disregarded her, his nails marking lines onto his wooden chair thoughtlessly.

Hakura's smile dropped. "Seriously though, are you alright?"

"... I need to talk to mom." He ran a hand through his hair, immediately standing up and entering his family's home.

"Huh...? Neo!"

The adult found his mother in the living room, preparing her bag to collect groceries from the local market. "The market of Stohess is south of here, correct?" She questioned without turning around. "It'll be my first time shopping in the Sina Wall, I'm a little nervous... I wonder if I'll find everything easily."

"I have something to ask - "

"Will you still be here when I return?" Izumi faced him with a soft smile, a smile he struggled to reciprocate. "I know you have your soldier duties to get to, and frankly I'm aware of you thinking it's a little strange to still watch over your mother but... It's a new house and it's nice being able to see your face after three years of you gone. Almost four, actually..."

"Mom, stop."

The woman flinched at his serious tone, barely dropping the bag from her hands. "Is something wrong, my child?"

"I just..." He plopped down onto the comfy couch behind him. "I saw someone earlier."

"Okay..." She placed her bag onto the table, understanding that her son was troubled. "Someone we know?"

"Yes," He met her eyes with a frustrated look. "Someone I thought died the day Wall Maria fell."

"Who would that be?"