『 22 』

❝A Comfort in the Form of Levi❞- - -

A Comfort in the Form of Levi
- - -

It was silent.

A type of silence that laid deadly on their skin, bearing the tension and awkwardness of their first encounter after six years. Celena shifted uncomfortably on her feet, her face blushing a deep red at the sight of her childhood friend.

Levi.

He had definitely changed, that's for sure.

As they walked towards the Captain's office, his office, Celena couldn't help but wonder how much he looked like an actual soldier now, with his boots making rhythmical thumps against the pavement and with his stern and stressed facial expressions. He seemed to grow in strength as well. The uniform did little to hide his muscles from training and fighting with the Survey Corps.

But... Why was he here?

The last time Celena had seen him, she believed that the Underground Trio would be sentenced to life behind metal bars.

"Come on,"

He opened the door, which must've led to his office, and held it for her. She was quick to scurry past, avoiding eye contact with the older male, something he wanted desperately but failed to voice out. Levi entered and closed the door behind him. She didn't turn to face him but knew that he was leaning against the door by the sound of shuffling clothes and creaking wood. Taking in a deep breath and reminding herself of who she was speaking to, Celena began the conversation.

"Hello, Levi."

"Did that bastard force you? Was he the reason you're here now?"

Celena quickly turned around, surprise evident in her features as she didn't expect him to bring her father into the conversation so quickly. "N - No... It's completely my decision."

"Then you're an idiot." The adult snapped, making the ginger understand that he was angry by his cold tone. "Do you understand how dangerous being a part of the Survey Corps is? You could get eaten. You're not supposed to be here."

Celena felt a rush of fury grow deep in her heart. It was true that a couple of years had flown by since their last conversation, but had Levi become that untrusting of her already? After all that has happened between them in the Underground District? After all that training?

"That's not your choice to make."

He dropped the foot that was resting against the wooden door and straightened out his posture with a menacing glare. "Have you seen what we go through with the titans out there? How many people don't get to come back after expeditions? You'd just be dead weight, and for what? A chance to be called a hero."

"I - I've survived Trost, trust me... I've seen m - more than you expect!" Her voice began to suffer from the overflow of emotions she was feeling.