『 31 』

❝A Moment of True Love❞- - -

A Moment of True Love
- - -

Weeks passed since the Survey Corps' expedition.

Alecto paid it no extra attention as he had bigger and more urgent tasks at hand regarding the king and the amount of protection he needed to continue to reign securely. The only sound heard in his office was pen scratching on paper, accompanied by occasional murmurs and sniffles from the man himself. The quiet, focused energy was soon interrupted by the sound of someone bursting through the door.

"Sir Alecto!"

He looked up with a sneer. "Do you know what time it is!? I'm working!"

"Y - Yes, I know, and I apologize for the interruption, but you've received letters from the Survey Corps!"

Alecto put his pen down and sighed calmly, ignoring the franticness of the maid. "So? I receive letters all the time from my daughters." He held out his hand.

But the maid hesitated.

"What are you waiting for?!" The Captain barked.

"I'm sorry, sir, I truly am." She looked down and timidly handed over the two envelopes.

Alecto looked at the busted packaging of one letter and he growled. "Did you read my letters?! I should have you fired for such a dishonorable thing!"

"N - No! I would never! The soldier that gave it to me... He read it as an announcement." The young lady took a few steps back, her lower lip quivering in fear over the risk of losing her occupation.

Read it as an announcement?

They barely do that... Much less give the announcement to a simple maid rather than the man of the house.

"Dismissed." He waved her away, putting the letters aside.

"But sir - "

"I said, go. Must all you maids not understand complex vocabulary?"

The lady flinched at the venomous words and figured that it would be best if she left him alone when he discovered the news for himself. Her eyes locked onto a small portrait of the Ral family against the office wall behind him and they dimmed at the sight of the two ginger girls smiling widely.

"I'm sorry..." She muttered out one last time before closing the door behind herself and leaving the man alone.

Alecto turned back to his work but as he continued writing and filling out reports, something stuck in his mind: why would they read it as an announcement? He figured he would have to discover it for himself.

"One of them must have gotten into trouble, no doubt..." He hypothesized as he took the opened envelope first. "Perhaps suspended or whatnot?" The following words he read weren't even close to his suspicions.