Chapter 20 - The truth

Suman 

I don't have any idea what has gotten into his head. What the hell did he forget at home? What is so important?

I drove my ambassador towards Malhotra Mansion and asked in fury, "Shravan what is going on?"

"ok calm down, I want my rubric's cube"

"rubric's cube? But why?"

"It reduces my anxiety, I took it as a practice after my accident and it really helped me calm my mind"

"you are happy about the sangeet and everything aren't you?"

"yes, but I am still nervous"

"ok, have some water we are on our way".

He looked better now, I saw a café which was lit with fairy lights at the corner of the street.

"you know Shravan, that day, before your accident, you had called me here. We were together, just the same way reaching there."

"and you were dressed up in a yellow kurta"

He remembered something, I couldn't figure out what was it but his head ached. He cried in help,

"Sumo, please take me home fast, I don't feel alright!"

I drove as fast as I could and applied a sudden brake when I broke the signal twice.

"Sumo what are you doing?"

"sorry"

No, this can't happen again.

After a few minutes we finally reached home which was decorated with flowers and lights but no one inside. I guided Shravan towards his room, he took his pills and a deep breathe.

"Shravan, are you alright?"

"yes, sumo, I think you can go now, I will go to sangeet on my own."

"no, I am not leaving you!"

"you are!"

"Shravan, tell me what happened? What did I do wrong?"

"it's nothing, please leave"

What the hell happened to him, I didn't want to argue and spoil his special day. I called Pushkar, "Hey, listen, Shravan is not doing alright, he is in his room now, I want you to come right now"

"yes, ok Sumo! I am on my way"

I left.

Shravan 

A feeling of fury went through my spine. My head was pounding with pain. Yes, I remembered and I remembered it all but I can't shake the fact that I was sitting beside my best friend when my life took a 360 degree turn.

It was a beautiful day, the sunset early that day, I asked Sumo in college to hang out with me in that café with fairy lights all over it. It was a café just near Starbucks – where I and Sumo first met. Technically not the first time.

But this mere hang out with my best friend was supposed to be different that day. I bought flowers for her that I secretly hid from her in my backpack. I was going to confess my feelings for her after I reached that café.

I now remember the conversation we had in the ambassador, "Shravan, you look extremely happy today, what's going on?"

"Nothing, I am just happy to hang out with my best friend at our usual café, is that too much to be happy about?"

"no, but we do this like all the time"

"Today is special, don't you see how romantic the weather is? The sun is setting early today and its chilling outside."

"Indeed it is, you said you wanted to tell me something, what is it?"

"well, let's take a seat first and then I will tell you"

Orchids were sitting inside my bag waiting to come outside. Our eyes locked, and this seconds of distraction cost us our lives. A huge truck came from the wrong side and Sumo panicked, she diverted the car off the road and we hit a tree. How badly? Well I don't remember that.

So much that I lost the most precious memories of my life. Sumo helped me come out of my sorrow after my mom left me, she became the pillar in my life and I forgot all of it in a instance. Why didn't my family ever tell me what really happened that night? Today, when she applied brakes when she was about to break a signal, I remembered everything --- it was like a déjà vu, the same road and the same scenario.

I don't blame her for the accident, it was not her fault but all this was too much to take in, and I can't let her know that I remember everything. Not now, when I am going to marry someone else.

Pushkar came by after a while and saw me juggling with the Rubric's cube. He sensed something was wrong.

"Bhai, what happened?"

"Why didn't you all tell me? Why lie all this time?"

"about what Bhai?"

"about my accident? That it was Sumo in the car"

"so, you remember everything"

"yes I do"

"the same reason Sumo didn't tell she was your best friend"

"that's.... honestly, I don't want to go to the sangeet anymore"

"you know bhai you can't escape this, everyone are waiting for you, unless you really don't love Ria and don't want to get married to her"

Did I really want to get married to her?

I can't do that to her, betray a pretty girl like her just because two days back I remembered that I loved someone else.

"let's go"

Suman 

Shravan, I tried but I don't think I can do this anymore. I am not coming to your sangeet, or your marriage. That dance is not happening.

I can't see you go away again, the first time it was your family because they thought and I take it – it was my fault too for falling in love with those eyes. They never let me even see you after this tragedy.

I will forever regret what happened to us that day, it changed everything and I never got to know what you wanted to tell me. I think that will stay a mystery forever now.

I saw this coming and I have to let go now. So Shravan, I hope you have a beautiful life ahead with Ria.

I drove my car back home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, sorry for not updating last week, was busy with work but now I am back with another update and the story is finally reaching its climax! so I would like you to read the prologue for a short recap for the upcoming updates!

This FF has been a really different one and I am really enjoying writing it!

I hope that you keep on continuing your support for me. Also next week its EDKV's 5th anniversary --- so the update will indeed be special!!!