Chapter 14 - A Jolt Of Memory

Suman

"Now, what next?" I asked putting the gola's stick into the trash can.

"that's pretty much it for the morning, but we must go to that stall where you used to have chaats and samosas at the corner"

"Pushkar told you all of that?"

"well I feel guilty of not knowing any of it and still planning a birthday for you, I must know stuff about you, you are my friend"

"yes, but hasn't been even a few weeks since you know me, I don't expect you to know everything about me!"

"well, thanks for considering, now let's reminisce some college memories for you"

"after you!"

The small restaurant was just across my college, I and Shravan used to hang out a lot after college with our other friends. I hope that today's trip to that place might jog his memory.

WE ordered aloo chaat and samosas – the sound of it brings in the thought of so much oil, cholesterol levels but I still love to eat all of it. My stomach was almost full now, I couldn't even walk.

"Sumo, I can see your food fetus right now"

"shut up Shravan and don't joke around, I can't walk I am soo full!"

"the next destination was yours, so here take the keys and let's go!"

Wait, I have to drive the car?

Well, let's do it then.

I drove it to the surprise place I wanted Shravan to see. I don't know how he would react to it but it was the first time I took a friend to my old house, where I used to live with my parents before the accident happened. The house that had quite many memories of my childhood locked away. It hurts each time I go there but when I went with Shravan for the first time, he made me feel comfortable and warm. We had played hide and seek and pakdam pakdi like little children.

We had deep conversations about me while Shravan poured his heart out about her mother. Those scars were very fresh for him when we first came here, it had only been a year and he was still finding answers to why his mom did what she did.

We arrived at my old home after a ½ hour ride. Shravan glanced at the house and frowned. I was curious to know what was going on in his mind.

"Shravan, do you remember something?"

"well, this place is gorgeous, is it yours?"

"yeah, kind off, before my mom and dad died, we all used to live here"

"I am so sorry, how did that happen?"

"a car accident" it felt like a déjà vu

"Sumo, I am very sorry to hear that."

"its fine, been a long time now"

We entered and everything was dusty again. The house gets cleaned every month but I still can't get the courage to rent this place out to someone else.

"no one lives here?"

"well, I had this thought of renting the place for a long time but I can't get past those memories we shared and see someone else living in this house"

"I can understand, it is very hard to let memories go away."

"c'mon let's sit here"

We sat by the stairs that led to my room.

"Sumo, I didn't know you would take me to a place that is so close to your heart on your birthday, I am indeed surprised"

"well, it's not been long but you became such a good friend, I just thought maybe I should take you here"

We were sitting beside each other, the living room was dark, I continued my tale of memories.

"you know my room used to be right up there and here at the dining area I used to celebrate my birthdays with my friends, dad used to rush to catch me and I ran down the stairs --- he could never beat my speed" a tear escaped my right eye.

"and I was a naughty kid, I have troubled my mom so much when it came to eating food – mere piche piche bhaga karti thi, god I can still visualize it" As I remembered all those memories from a lifetime ago, I felt a pit in my stomach and I was weeping.

Shravan turned towards me and cupped my face, "don't cry now, they won't be happy seeing you cry".

I looked into his eyes, how could he not remember me? He approached closer to my face. I could sense his breath over me. My heart was thumping loud; I bet he could hear it.

I could feel his lips on mine. I didn't realize this instant, what happened – did he just kiss me? Is it still happening?

I kissed him back, it was gentle and soft. After a few seconds later our lips went part.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have"

"no, it's alright, this time I am not sorry about it"

He looked worried, "Sumo, we have come here before, we were friends in college, isn't it?"

I was shocked to hear this from him, did it really work?

"Shravan, I want you to calm down for a second, tell me what you remember?"

"This house, we being here and sharing the exact same memories, it's like a déjà vu? Tell me Sumo, were we friends at college?"

Seems, only a bit of his memory came back but it was an accomplishment, I took a deep breath

"Yes, Shravan, we were"

"what? Why didn't you ever tell me before?"

"because I didn't know how your mind would react to it! There was a high chance you could go back to your accident trauma and I could lose you"

"I am fine now, I can handle it, but you must have told me about this, after all this time I thought I met you for the first time"

"I couldn't risk your health"

"and even Pushkar knew about this, all of it"

"Shravan, you must take one thing at a time! I think you must go home and rest now"

"I know exactly where I should go and I am headed right there now"

"I will come with you"

"no you won't I want my space"

"ok, you get to have your space and you won't even notice me, but I am coming with you".

Well, I saw this coming somewhat, I don't even know what he remembers, but it worked.

A little bit, but his memories were coming back, and it was a good sign.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, I am back with a new update and it was a pretty intense one for me!

i hope you guys like it :)

keep sharing and supporting!! :D