Chapter 1 - The Ultimate Surprise

6 months ago

Suman

It was a stressful day, I finished off a bunch of notes for my presentation tomorrow, I really didn't know the final year of L.L.M would be so excruciatingly painful. The nearest coffee shop to tiwari killa has always been a stress buster and their latte ... aah it is a true bliss but today it was a different scenario. Saturday and crowd in here is crazy. How much ever I like the latte here, I can't bear those long lines so I thought of going to Starbucks instead, don't worry it was walking distance as well!

I don't come here much, as I entered this huge and expensive franchise of Starbucks, I smelled a refreshing fragnance of cookies, brownies and coffee. It was prepared for Christmas. A huge Christmas tree stood right in front of the entrance with real gifts kept at the foot of the tree and the rest decorated with red and green balls with a silver touch on it. Starbucks looked like Santa's ride as a big dummy of Santa stood at one corner of the shop and a reindeer painted over the wall right in front of me.

How beautiful everything was, Christmas ... a festival which came from the western countries – just like how we celebrate Diwali in India. I have hated Christmas since I lost Shravan, yes it was this very day years ago when I lost him. I don't even know why I didn't ask the Malhotras' for his contact number?

I ordered a latte and took a seat almost at the centre of the shop. I saw a girl standing with a guy, I couldn't see the guy's face as light felt right on the girl's face. He hugged her gently but she revolted. It seems he was trying to convince her. I remembered the times when Shravan used to convince me when I was angry. They seemed so much in love. They called my name and I went to take my coffee, I added a lot of sugar because Starbucks lattes are never sweet enough.

My attention diverted to the couple again, I saw the guy irritated headed towards the entrance of the shop, now I could see his face. A shiver went through my spine, I couldn't believe what I saw – my mind started asking all these questions to me

Wait, is that Shravan? How did... he went to America then what is he doing here, is he a doppelganger of Shravan, no...

As I looked confused and shocked – there was something else to add to it, he came and sat opposite to me, we were sharing the same table. He seemed infuriated and as if he had a long run, trickles of sweat went through his forehead. I didn't see him directly and pretended to be busy on my phone.

"Shravan, aaj toh tu bach gaya, par kal toh tujhe..".

"hey Mr. how can you sit here without my permission?". That was the moment, I was sure – it was him. SHRAVAN MALHOTRA , my dearest friend just the way I had met him!

"SHRAVAN...?"

"WAIT, how do you know my name?".

"umm, didn't you just say it just now?".

"oh yeah, I didn't realize that, I am sorry for sitting here without asking but my girlfriend Ria is really driving my crazy tonight, she has gone on full psycho mode and she might be coming right behind me and I am running away from her!".

Well, this was funny, who runs from their girlfriend like this? I laughed out hard. His bondu sa face made me laugh harder.

"you're are laughing at me? That one out there doesn't let me sleep and you are laughing, are all ladies so unpredictable?". He raised his eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, your situation here is very funny mister, just relax and have some coffee!". I offered him my latte.

"thanks, well what is your name?" he sipped his coffee.

"Suman" I replied

He frowned and was thinking something, "have we met before? Why does it feel like we know each other?".

This was shocking to hear, I was not sure how to reply to that. I was unaware of the dangers it might hold. "no maybe you saw someone similar to me!"

"maybe!".

I saw a girl coming in the shop fuming in anger, yes even she was headed to my table, I asked Shravan, "Hey, is that your girlfriend Ria?".

He hid his face under his right arm, "yes!".

Little did he know he was the tallest guy sitting in the entire café, it is hard to hide.

He pleaded, "Suman can you please act as if you are my good friend, you know in that way?"

"wait, what? You want to make her more angry?"

"please, see she is that rich – high maintenance type of girlfriend and we had a thing, I will explain it to you later, for now please just act as if you know me really well!".

Yes I do know you very well, Ria arrived, "Shravan, I have been searching you all around and here you are, who is this?".

"Oh, hey Ria don't get me wrong, I am Suman, Shravan's childhood friend, he called me up here.. right Shravan?".

Shravan was confused, "yes, Ria this is Suman, Suman this is Ria, please join us my love and just calm down!"

Taking a deep breath, she relaxed and sat beside me, "so, Suman how are you friends with Shravan? He has made me really angry today, how do you even handle him? He is really bad remembering dates!"

"yeah, boys they always forget it, it's in their genes"

"Today it is our 3 month anniversary, he gifted me a ring and what does he wish me? Happy birthday darling"

I laughed, "well, he atleast remembered the date, no wonder he forgot the occasion, abhi bhi tum waise hi bhulakkad ho?" I sighed and looked at Shravan.

Why did those rush of memories hit me when way back in 1st year of college, he forgot my birthday as well. To be honest I had expected a gift from him that day. Let me tell you what had happened that day.

With glittering hopeful eyes and a broad smile I had asked, "Shravan, today is a special day, do you remember?"

"what is special today, it is a boring Monday its 21st october right?". Well he didn't remember, I went away in anger.

The same day, when I was going back home from college, someone grabbed my hand at the college gate. As I was about to scream, he pinned to me to the wall beside the gate and covered my lips with his palm. It was Shravan

"chill, it's me and a surprise is waiting for you right there" he directed his hand on right, I saw an icecream wala stall, he knew I loved icecream and this little thing made me smile,

"kaisi lagi?"

"boht acchi!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, I am back with another update, I hope you like it, Don't forget to tell how is it and why doesn't Shravan remember Suman at all?

I will be back with another update very soon :)