Chapter Fourteen

It was dark, pitch black, the sound of loud angry voices knocked on my mind. They resounded through the darkness as though I where in a case of tin. I tried to turn but my body refused to move. I was so tired, too tired to move, too tired to speak, too tired to even cry at what they where saying.

        "You brought the pest to life, and what has he done?!" I heard a fist slam down on an invisible table. "Killed my wife, killed the king, this thing needs to go! NOW!"

        Who killed the king? Someone killed the king? Why?

        "No." I heard, the small gentle voice of a lady.

        Ussie! Ussie I miss you a lot Ussie.

        Ussie?

        Who is Ussie?

        Where am I?

        "You may not have understood me! I SAID HE NEEDS TO GO." He screamed his voice ever echoing in this cave like darkness.

        The lady refused, though considerably quieter than the first time. She was scared, it was obvious, yet there was something about her voice that spoke certainty. It was as though there where no other choices, as though she had resigned to her fate because she had no other expectation of it.

        Who was this woman? Why was I here? Where they talking about me? I vaguely recognized both of their voices however my mind was so foggy, so clouded by sleep it was hard to think right.

        My mind wandered slightly and their voices came in and out of focus. "SLAVE... ...NEVER... ...you down with him... ...hope..." I heard the man shout and could imagine him towering over the lady his claws raised as she cowered beneath with despair filled eyes. I felt her breath upon my face and the warm embrace as she held me in the darkness.

        Since when was I so close to her? And how, when it was so dark, did I still feel as though somehow I could still see her, feel her presence around me, like a pocket of mist, like the scent of sugar or syrup.

        "He is mine." She repeated but it ended in a strangled gasp as she reached out and fought for her life against the man, that so strangely, took on the form of my father and former master. I heard her claws shred his back before he turned around once more to deal her the final blow. And in barely seconds her throat was ripped from her neck.

        Dread filled my mind, sickening dread, and I was not sure why. I did not know the woman, I could not even see her. Yet I knew her now gruesome blood covered form was there smothering me, above me.

        I was sad. So sad. I felt him lift me from underneath her arms, I felt him spit on me and throw me back onto her ever stiffening corpse. I felt my hands wipe tears from my face that I did not know I had cried. I pulled at her hair, that though I could not see, I knew was black. Black and long and elegant. I heard a baby's gurgled crying that spoke of strange despair ringing in my ears, and realized it was my own.

        Then light shone in my eyes. Covering me in a cloud of red. And then she woke again and she hugged me tight and she held me to the heavens and chuckled, "what a good boy" she sand sweetly, with a smile the size of the moon. And the warmth rushed to my body, the comfort.

        And I turned over to fall face first into a wall of muscle and my dream faded. I tried to catch it again but it was gone.

        I looked up with tired eyes to find myself in the arms of Veldore, of my mate. He noticed my waking and looked down upon me and kissed my lightly on my forehead. And through the simplicity and gentleness of that, felt all the love in the world.