Chapter Twenty Nine

[A/N] It's quite short. Next one will be longer. Apologies for my absence.

We stood there for some seconds in bound breath, both frozen. We hadn't counted on getting caught. Honestly I'd no idea how the guard even knew who I was without a scent. Did I have a scent? How could he have spotted me otherwise? I felt a tremor of fear run down my back.

"We were just walking, just going on a walk!" Verity gasped first. I was sure even with all the sureness she said it, she was well aware such a feeble excuse would not work.

The guard, as predicted, snorted. "Right. As though I were not aware the kings mate is not allowed off the palace grounds. We were all there for the briefing. Verity you were there, you should know this too!" He yelled that last bit and I felt Verity, beside me, jump a little.

Verity knew this man? Well it wouldn't surprise me, I was sure the workers were much more well appropriated with each other.

"Please, we just wished to see the water sprite." I spoke up. My voice soft and powdered. I hoped he would listen.

"You can tell this to your mate," he said gruffly, before glaring at Verity.

I froze. For just the briefest second I saw Veldore rage crazed face in my head. He would be so angry. Could I ever return from this? My mind flooded with all the other possible routes me and Verity could have taken and regret filled every vessel in me. I pushed all this to the back and tried to reason.

I pulled lightly at his uniform so his gaze returned to me. "Please, you needn't tell him anything! We'll return silently, we won't cause any trouble! Just don-"

The guard shushed me before I could finish. "No." He said firmly. "You think he won't find out? He'll know. You, you might survive with a couple chains and a little whipping, unlike you, we aren't bound to the King in the same way." He turned back to Verity. "He'll have you scarred. You knew this and yet you still took his mate so far from home. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!"

Verity sniffled and for the first time since the guard got here I noticed how glazed her eyes were. She was in near tears. I felt guilt wash over me like rainfall and pressed my hand on her back and stroked her lightly.

I shook my head adamantly. "No." I said. "No I will make sure she escapes unscathed! I will!"

The chilling laugh was enough to explain to me his thoughts on my words yet he still elaborated. "You will not. By this time you will be over his knee, at beckon to his wrath, and you will not think of her." I attempted to speak but his raised hand made me pause. "You have yet to see true anger in his eyes, but you will, you will and then you would know better than to disagree with me."

This time my walls began to crumble. I didn't want Veldore to be so angry at me I could not even think to look out for another. My own tears started to gather.

"Please, don't tell him." I trembled, my shoulders hunched forwards and I found myself wiping away tears.

He seemed to soften a little, round a little at the shoulders, though still refusing to ease up. "I cannot do that young King." He sighed. "Should I ignore this I would be sentenced to death, this is obvious. I have a mate at home, I cannot die."

I looked up at him wide eyed. Suddenly feeling bad for even asking it of him, I forgot that there would be consequences for him too. "I'm sorry. I do not wish to see him so angry."

He nodded. "I too am sorry young King, please walk with me now."

I nodded tearfully, then turned to Verity, hesitant. "Will you run?" I asked.

She shook her head. "Running would bring nothing. I'll have to deal with the inevitable my friend." She sounded strong and decided yet I could feel her hands shaking within my grip.

I agreed yet could not bring myself to take the first step. All the guard had said had scared me and my mind was running overtime trying to think of a way out of the situation I had gotten myself and Verity into.

It was hard to accept that right now my mate was blissfully unaware, and returning would be the thing to heat his blood. If I could escape I... But then the guard would be at peril. If only he had not found us. If he hadn't found us we would not need to return so soon, Veldore would never know and no one would get hurt. There must be a way to escape; while everything is still intact.

"I'll have to force you if you do not keep time with me." He said. His voice had returned to being cold and stern.

Still, I could not move. He took my arm and I found myself finally able to walk with him. I tried to keep myself from thinking of all the what-ifs. They would drive me crazy.

What scared me most was the thought that Veldore would be so hurt.

"I can walk." I said silently as we moved along, he still kept his grip on my arm.

"Unfortunately I cannot take any chances." He called for Verity, she appeared at his side. "Walk in front lady, I can't have you slipping off anywhere."

"I said I would not run Siron." Verity muttered.

Siron shook his head. "I know this Verity, it would not be like you. Understand I cannot take any chances."

She merely nodded and pulled in front.

"I'm sorry Verity." I said, my eyes downcast.

Verity turned only to give me a pitying look as she spoke. "I fear it was my fault not yours. I just can't hope to think what your mates reaction would be."

I felt tears build up once more. "I will make sure he does not hurt you Verity. I will tell him it was my idea and say I convinced you to follow."

Verity smiled at me but said nothing for a while.

"He will know. My mate would know too if I lied to him. The King will know."

I tried not to accept it as the truth it was. Yet I knew with his hand on my heart that it was the ultimate test of honesty, he would know. I thought of it long and hard and found myself wishing to return to my mates arms once more.

I missed the heat he resonated, the warmth, the feeling of absolute, the knowing nothing bad could ever hurt me. The way my body fitted like a key in a lock, and how he could just hunch over me and I would be washed with the sensation of calm equilibrium.

I hated to fear him. It felt like betrayal.