Chapter Five

The ball was was already half way through. Everyone was dancing to the quiet jolly strings of the violin and piano. Though it somewhat slowed down when Veldore stepped in. Even those who had never met him would recognize him, he was as one would imagine. Dark, strong, power full and majestic in all his moves. Only younger than you would expect.

      As I had foreseen little ladies and gentlemen clambered to his side asking for a dance. I watch all the hopefuls get shot down and walk away miserable. The blonde haired girl I had seen before also hurried towards him. However his space was given when he picked a fine young lady from the higher society to dance with for the night. As I had presumed he would. You do not need to know a person to predict his actions, you only need know they're position and situation.

      I kept myself as invisible as possible, imagining the terror of coming face to face with my family at this ball. I let myself sink into the shadows as I watched the night play out.

      For some reason I had this sinking feeling of dread. The feeling that something was going to happen, something I would like to avoid. And there was nothing I trusted more than my instinct. For as you are taught when you are young, instinct is the closest you can get to understanding your wolf and harmonizing with it.

      As I began dozing off staring distractedly at the large luminous moon rock, lit by seven humongous chandeliers I felt a sudden grip on my arm. I turned almost too quickly for my mind to keep up and saw a young man little older than I staring at me.

      He had a muscular build with long blond hair and green eyes, an expectant grin on his face.

      "Hello sir I was wondering if you would accompany me in a dance?" He asked. I was quite surprised by his boldness that seemed so uncanny to me. "Come I'm a better dancer than most give me credit I dare say! Let me prove it to you!" At that I realized what struck me most about him. It was not his refreshingly handsome features, or his opulent fitted clothes, it was the fact that he was no doubt a lord of some sort.

      He was flirting with me for a reason I could not understand. I was far from fetching, obviously poor and... Well... A slave... Need I say more?

      Besides all of this he looked like the type to philander about with many a women.

      I declined, bowing my head slightly. "No sir, I'm sure there will be some one better suited midst this crowd."

      "Oh come now!" He exclaimed, pulling me by the wrist close towards him and snaking an arm around my waist. "You know that's not true!" I couldn't bring myself to be comfortable with him  hugging me like that. He was reaching far into boundaries I suppose I don't really get to claim.

      I gently pushed him away. "Sir I'll have you know I am a slave. While it has been nice meeting you I believe you should attempt to court someone of better value while you are in such a young and handsome state."

      He grinned. "You think I am handsome?" Ignoring all else I had said and pulling me closer towards him, this time tighter in grip.

      I blushed and tried to pull myself away again. "Please sir..." I started.

      "It's one dance boy." He interrupted.

      I didn't like the sound of boy. My answer was firm. "No."

      He paused for a second and stood in thought. "Your a slave you say?" I paused, nodding, then continued struggling in a pathetic attempt to be free of him. "So I could easily leave a word with your master saying you attacked me... And you would be whipped to death... Is that right?"