Chapter Sixteen

The chilling wind whistled in my ear as I and the guards made our way back down the steep soil of the Aventine hill.

        The sky was ever darkening and the wind was throwing our clothes into a wild disarray. For whatever reason there was the strange yet some how enticing smell of the sea invading the fresh forest air.

        My nerves where brought no solace to the deadly night upon us. Every crushed leaf and every broken twig make me jump at the sound. Even the wind curling my hair around my face made my spine shiver and my muscles twitch. The winds low howling felt somehow directed at me, its embrace some how affected me.

        Once we reached the bottom I returned to adore the shrine once more from below. However in doing so only made myself more paranoid of unwelcome visitors.

        The shrine was barely visible among the ever gathering mist like darkness. The torch's light had dissipated and there was no longer a warm glow welcoming her mostly lost little wanderers. 

        We had not blown out the torches.

        It was the wind. I told myself. Just the wind. The hurling curling howling growling sneeky child of the wind passing through and shaming the lights as he went.

        "Your majesty we really must return the king awaits you." A guard spoke gruffly, a gentle stubby hand on my shoulder.

        I turned around, my mouth parted slightly to agree.

        Eddergan.

        No.

        It cannot be.

        "Hello my dear." He laughed, the same twinkle in his eyes he had had at the ball that first night we met. He almost seemed innocent. My first impression still evidently playing tricks on my mind.

        The guards gave took steps back and shoved me roughly behind them, their armor clanging loudly. Even from behind their sheets of chain mail I could see them give each other painful regretful looks and I took a step further back.

        "Do I get no greeting sugar?" He said. From the shrill ring to his voice I could tell he was smiling, evilly. "Why you seem to have lost the manners you once brought to that ball..." He took a step forwards.

        The guards took a step back and removed their swords from their hilt, raising them clumsily and holding them in the direction of Eddergan.

        "By the kings orders you are not to set foot outside the jail guarder and are by no means allowed to converse or be in the company of his mate." One yelled.

        He took another step forward. "You are all being very fooli-"

        "Please step back!" Another yelled.

        "Fool." He spat, obviously offended by their lack of submission. "You could not beat me with your sword even if it is of wolfiron and if it where embedded with wolfs bane. Not all six of you at once. You are all nothing but pathetic däug's."

        "The alpha will refuse your accompaniment of his majesties mate!" Another yelled. They where clearly trained to take the insults head on and see them as nothing but a ruse. That be a golden gift.

        He chortled loudly. Something more beast in it than I've ever heard the ordinary were- sound like. "Have you forgotten? I am the Alpha! You imbeciles! I am the true king! I am the older brother!" He spat. "MOVE TO THE SIDE!" He yelled, he was using the alpha tone, I could tell because I too moved aside though it was clearly not his intention to order me to do so.