Chapter Twenty Eight

[A/N] Bear with me my lovelies. Slow chapter, fast end.

I was surprised when Veldore left me to take my time with Verity and explore the allowed grounds of the castle. I had expected it to take more convincing than it did indeed take. As it turned out Veldore had plans of his own that day and needed to talk to his guests about business of some sort. If I was honest I was relieved.

Still as I made my way with Verity towards her quarters I was feeling the weight of the guilt that accompanied my intention to sneak out. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I could not be completely in the wrong yet I couldn't shake how conniving I felt going off behind Veldore's back like this.

"Are you okay?" Verity asked me when I remained silent on our short trip through the halls.

I nodded a little.

Verity raised a brow. I knew she did not like my silence, she was after all quite outspoken herself and liked to keep a conversation going like a good fire.

She needed reassurance I was there and more than anything reassurance that I was still intent on going through with the plan. After all. She was risking more than me by doing this.

If it really came to it and we were found out the most I would get was a couple lashes on my back with a whip and maybe a long while of confinement with my angry mate till I could bring him to trust me again.

I worried that Verity could lose her life trying to help me do this. She was helping the kings mate escape. I knew that if I explained they would not allow this to happen however what if I never got the chance to explain? I never got the chance to explain when the time required it, though I had to admit I carried much of the blame.

She had a mate.

Could I really go through with his? Put her life in danger for something so stupid.

No, I had faith in Veldore. He would never do that to Verity. Not because he was soft but because if I brought up the idea of him executing as a comparison to Verity I know Veldore would never be able to go through with it.

Verity needed reassurance. She was staring at me for it. He steps were slowing. She was scared.

"Why do you wish to come with me? Should I not simply go alone?" I asked.

I knew I would be more afraid on my own yet Verity's life was not one I wanted to risk. She was so welcoming to me when we first met. I would think her to be my one and only friend.

Verity turned to sigh. We had already reached her room. "Would you be okay going alone?"

I shrugged. I could not allow her to see my own fear of the situation. I did not want to discourage her as much as I wanted to call the whole thing off. Was I being selfish? Was what I was doing her just as a result of my own growing ego? I was putting my friend in danger yet still unwilling to take the initiative to simply end it all.

"I want to see the fairies." Verity sighed.

I looked up at her with hopeful eyes. "This is also for your own interest?" I asked. I needed it so.

She nodded. "Sprite's are such an enigma. I must see one for myself. So many speculations fill those books I read, so many differing views. To see a sprite for myself would be a privilege and I cannot deny my chance."

So this was for her too. Not just for me. I felt my lungs start to work again. Started breathing freely again. It was such a relief.

"Come in then." She smiled, urging me forwards and into her room.