Chapter One

I go by the name Cinde, just Cinde. Slaves do not posess surnames even when their slave master is their own 'father'. When I find myself a nice mate I will take on hers. Yes. I am a werewolf, just like everyone who lives in the Aconite Kingdom.

        "Cinde you lazy brute you'll do as I tell you if you know whats good for you!" An old man with sunken eyes and a look that served as reasoning for a prediction of a pathetically early drunken death got up and threw a pair of ladies shoes at me.

      Reader, father.

        Father, reader.

        Don't try to shake hands he only knows how to throw punches with his.

        "Nequi and Quam are going to bag me the king they'll be needing some shinnin shoes."

        Nequi and Quam are my sisters. My fathers name is Durus Puer. So I suppose your wondering why I don't call myself Cinde Puer. This is because I am not. I am an illegitimate child, a bastard if you will. The former king got my mother pregnant with me. She was executed shortly after I was born once people found out. Cheating is a serious crime when it comes to werewolves. It was weird to think I was almost his half brother. 

        I picked up a pair of large lilac ladies shoes and got my wax out. One might say I was lucky to be alive, I am. However when you've lived your entire life almost as a slave it begins to loose its fruit if you know what I'm talking about. Death is not such a miserable option to me.

        I was sitting in a large living room on the floor by the fire place, keeping close so the wax would not harden too quickly and occasionally giving the coal a shuffle to keep the fire warm.

        Nequi burst into the room. She had shoulder length black hair, her eyes where dull brown and freckles scattered about her face like mosquito bites. How did anyone so plain keep themselves so devotedly vain?

        "You wretched thing, you've been at that for hours now if you sabotage me and make me slip I shall tell father and we all know what a grand beating you'd be in for!" She shrieked and stomped out into the kitchen.

        Such a bitter girl, should she not care about something more than Veldore?

       It was both Nequi and Quams sole ambition to become the mate of king Veldore. It depresses me so to see they're lives go to such waste. They don't seem to know how mating works, no matter how wide you spread your legs or flirt till your heart is worn, it makes no difference. Your mate is chosen by the moon goddess and no amount of luck could get you the king.

        Quam soon followed in.

        "Well?! Don't I look royal?!" She asked. She was dressed in a fancy red dress who's top was so low cut her breasts where practically showing. I betrayed my own judgment in fashion and nodded. "I know! I'm going to be Veldores mate and not even Nequi can beat my beauty!"

       Nequi popped out of the kitchen. "You rigid whore think what you will but even your breasts won't hide your face!" I guessed she was jealous Quam had larger breasts but... Well she had a larger everything. She had short black hair and brown eyes too, if not for the difference in size you would have quite some trouble trying to figure out who was who. They were twins after all.

         Quam's cheaks flushed an ugly shade of red. "Cinde tell Nequi how beautiful I am NOW!"

         I looked at her slightly shocked. How immature could one get.

        "NO tell Quam how beautiful I AM!"

         I looked at both of them giving them odd glances. They looked at me expectantly.

        "You are both beautiful sisters." I replied, knowing that this would not be a good thing to say but ignoring my better judgment in doing so.

       "You foul creature I'm beautiful not Nequi! You have no taste I don't trust you with my shoes. You should just die you bastard!"

         "Shut up Quam! Cinde if you don't say Quams ugly I'll get father to give you lashings!"

         "And I'll get you lashings if you do!"

        I sighed and placed the shoes to the side. I had polished nearly 5 sets this morning. Ignoring they're war cries I clambered up into the attic and lay on my bed. There was a ball taking place tomorrow and they where being worse than normal, eager to out play each other versing for the kings love that neither could attain. Most likely no one will. Luna will place him with someone of much better blood and much smarter brain.

        I heard the thudding of footsteps as Naqui burst into my room and grabbed my arm. "If you don't tell Quam she's ugly then I'll get father to give you lashings!" What sort of reason was that? Why did those two do things like this it was beyond me. I had told Nequi she was ugly once and she didn't even blink, she didn't believe me. Then I got 16 on my back with my dads belt. I couldn't do it again.

        I shook my head.

        "Do what I say!" She shrieked.

        Still shaking my head she let me go and ran down stairs in anger.

        I would occasionally wonder if there was a noble I could be mated with but I tried my best to restrict myself of such coy thoughts. I would never be mated to anyone better than a starving gutter child like me.

        There was a loud clatter as father returned and shut the door behind him chatting briefly with the girls.

        At this ball I would find my mate, I knew I would. The whole kingdom was to be there. See there's going to be an eclipse tomorrow. An eclipse for werewolf's generally means death, most of the time. Although there isn't a specific casualty rate. It doesn't normally last that long though so not many have been known to die to it except for children. However this year we'll be having a Velvet eclipse which lasts round about four hours, no one can survive that. It's like wolfs-bane but kills you slower.

        Our kingdoms castle has a moon rock built into the top of the roof and so anyone inside is free of the effects. Hence the reason for the ball. The Velvet Eclipse was happening on my 18th birthday and that age generally means I'll end up meeting my mate.

        "CINDE" I heard the shout and curled up on my bed as if asleep. They really got him to give me lashings! I can't tell you how much I hate them. "You'll not be telling my daughter shes ugly the day before her big day! You hear me?!" He prodded my side with a large finger. I remained silent, too scared to say anything. "Wretched bastard, you'll be stayin't home you'll be. I don't care if I find you dead in the morning there'll be no ball for you!" He shouted as he stomped back down stairs.

         As his vulgar scent slowly faded into nothingness, I cursed silently.

        What he was doing was murder. If I could not go to the ball I would die, he was asking me to disobey him!

        Well... I will oblige.