Chapter Thirty Two

It was near midnight when we finally set out. There was a sickle type moon in the sky, not nearly enough to light our path, yet still it cast looming shadows wherever we went.

I felt calm as I walked beside Veldore into the great towering trees of the forest. It was odd how safe I felt even as the darkness swelled and fogged the area with a gloomy mist. It should have been petrifying to wander into the forest at this time in the night. I should have been afraid. But the warmth of knowing that Veldore was by my side was sinking in and I just embraced the tranquility in the air.

The knights walked ahead of us, of course Veldore had outright denied my request at leaving with us two alone. He took my hand and pulled my to his side, then notably slowed his pace.

Now we were following a good measure behind the seemingly floating coal lights the knights carried with them.

Even through the silence I could hear the noisy chain armor and it kept me grounded. Staying with Veldore for too long sent me far away, into a land where no one else existed but us.

We kept our voices low as we talked. I tried to ask open questions, ones where he would spend the majority of the time talking. I loved listening to my man, he had such a low husky voice, it resonated, it imprinted in my mind.

Oddly enough, though we had little conversation before, talking to Veldore seemed almost too natural. It was as though I at least partially already knew what he was going to tell me which was, of course, impossible.

I suppose I just felt like I knew him, very, very well.

I loved it, being the only one who knew Veldore this well.

I often heard their passing conversations regarding my King. I had to always quash the undying need to correct them when defining him. They called him a coldblooded man, a ruthless man, a heartless man. They were oh so wrong.

Even stepping partially into the alphas space would be enough to recognize this man as more than those words, deeper than just that petty description.

He had this circle of warmth around him, whenever I stepped in close it grabbed me and roped me and hauled me in. I was lured in like a crow to jewel, and then trapped like a fly in a spiders web. And I loved it.

"We are nearing Aventine Hill." He stated, signalling for me to start leading the way.

It was just beginning to occur to me that I hadn't really much of a clue as to where the sprite might be hiding. She had asked to meet me, I couldn't remember if she'd specified a time, what if we'd come too late?

Before I could give voice to my thoughts I felt my fist close on something solid, in the shape of a rippling petal. I opened it and in my hand reappeared the shell the sprite had given me, the light of the only partial moon somehow shone directly onto it and it gleamed with smug pride.

And the next thing I noticed was the scent.

There was a scent in the air, like freshwater and sea salt, an odd mix. The scent still felt comforting though.

Perhaps ever since the sprite had saved me from Eddergan taking me as if I were his own, I had associated the smell with safety.

Still, I wasn't sure why, but it felt like there was more of an explanation then that.

When I heard the rustling Veldore had already drawn me up close and into his arms, his back was hunched just slightly, protective of whatever might be waiting in the dark. I loved the feel of those muscular arms circling around me, for him it was just instinct, he had no idea just how much comfort it actually provided me with.