Chapter Four

I woke up to the sound of footsteps from far away. They where silent, yet my wolf ears picked up on them like a wild scent. They sounded like vibrations in the air, soft explosions.

      I would probably have to leave as soon as I could. Guests where only supposed to be sleeping in the main hall. Goodness knows what they would do had they found out I spent the night here. Still, there was no way I could sleep in there. I was so used to isolation, to be surrounded by such a large amount of people was something I was hardly used to.

      Either way my family would be somewhere there and I had to make sure not to bump into them at any cost.

      I brushed myself off as I sat up, feeling like I had slept a full on year. From the way the light looked out side it was early morning. Maybe six. The foreseen Eclipse was due at ten till mid night. Before you ask, yes I know the average eclipse doesn't last that long. This eclipse was what the ancients called 'aeternus anima obscuro' which means eternal soul veil/eclipse.

      Back when they believed it would never end and it was the first sign of the destruction of the universe. I couldn't blame them though, imagine utter darkness for an entire day, what that must be like... Well... We'll find out.

      Upon hearing bells I steadied myself and wandered towards them. If a guard was to catch me I would simply have to tell them I was lost and show them my claw.

      Of course I found myself wandering towards the great kitchens. This was after all the source of all sound in the entire place. Filled with sweet and sour smells. Cries ringing away in the background silent mutterings of disapproval to late kitchen maids.

      What drew me in most of all was the smell of fresh bread. Wafting like perfume out through the gap in the door.

      I wondered what it was like in there, whether it was warm and cozy like the smell, clatter and cries suggested. My curiosity got the better of me and I peaked in through the gap inside the door.

      The kitchen was a massive thing. Each wall seemed to stretch an eternity on wards, covered by some sort of machine or drying rack. It almost seemed like every nook and cranny of the room was filled with help. Servers wondering from the kitchen to another room, one I guessed was there to store food till the moment requires

      I watched in glorious satisfaction as cooks filled a great steel oven with layers and layers of buns laid neatly on square metal plates and shoved the coal beneath angrily.

      Suddenly a kitchen lady popped her head out the door, staring at me something evil. I stumbled back in shock.

      "What're you doing down here? If your up to something shady I'm on to you!" She scowled.

      Shaking my head I replied. "No mam I was only wondering if you wanted some help mam."

      "You where looking quite a bit longer then the normal?" She said with a raised brow.

      "Just a little nervous to ask mam."

      She nodded and pulled my arm pushing me inside the room.

      "You know how to cook?"

      "As well as the most." I replied.

      She shoved me towards a large pot standing on an unheated stove.

     "You know how to cook soup? Our supuer has vanished at such an untimely moment." She growled rubbing her forehead furiously with a dirty rag. A supuer is a soup boy, a boy that specializes in the cooking of soup.