1

Y/N POV

My fingers trembled as I held my breath, finally deciding to just take the leap and press the button.

I felt my pointer finger touch the cool glass of my screen, and my home view changed.

It had posted.

There was no going back now.

Without a second thought, I held down the power button on my phone, turning it off in an effort to tune out the world for a bit.

"Okay, I did it." I said, feeling equally terrified and relieved as I turned to my teammates, their faces full of excitement and pride. 

"We're so happy for you Y/n!" Kelley yelled, launching herself into my arms.

I laughed, catching the small defender. "Thanks, Kells."

"That's a very brave thing to do, Y/n. We are so proud of you, and we love you so much." Christen said, pulling me into a hug once I let Kelley go.

My other teammates came up to me, hugging me and telling me how proud they were, and how much they loved me. It made me feel a little less petrified at the undoubtable media circus to come.

But for the moment I was just going to enjoy the day off I had with my team.

I could worry about social media later.

----------------------------

"Star Goalkeeper and one of four captains of the USWNT, Y/n Lacari, has just come out as transmasculine non binary in a post on their Instagram this morning."

"Lacari, 24, has been playing for the national team for almost ten years now, having earned the title of captain four years ago."

"This announcement comes right before final matches of this year's World Cup, which is being hosted by France."

"In the statement made by Y/n, the soccer player said he now uses he/they pronouns, and has already gotten top surgery, which he kept quiet from the public until he felt ready to come out."

"Lacari wrote about his struggles with gender identity, and how it's shaped him as a person and a soccer player, especially being intersex, saying quote, 

I have known this since I was a young kid- about 8. At that time I wasn't quite sure what exactly it was I felt, but I knew that the body I was in wasn't fully mine yet. It's taken me years to figure out, and even though I've arrived at a place where I feel comfortable with myself, I'm still learning new things everyday. 

I am finally ready to fully embrace who I am.

I am trans masculine non binary, and my pronouns are he/they. 

Last year I was absent from the regular NWSL season  because I finally underwent top surgery, which has been something I've wanted since starting puberty. 

The reason I have chosen now to come out, despite my close friends/family/teammates knowing for a little over a year, is because I feel that we are at a time in our society where many politicians are trying to weaponize transgender medical care in an effort to continue their goal of completely denying the existence of transgender and gender non-conforming people, and I refuse to stand by and watch basic human rights be stripped from people.

To all of the young trans kids in states who are currently passing laws which cause nothing but harm and pain, I want you to know that I see you, I hear you, and I, along with many others, are fighting for you.