Chapter-39 pain

"~You."

"And just like that the greatest poem was written, in one word."

Lily's pov

With my heart thundering inside my chest, I rushed into the hospital. Everything was a blur I couldn't make out my thoughts.

I was greeted with Enzo's teary orbs, they looked crushed broken inside. "Enzo, I-" what was I even going to say at this point? This was all my fault I drove Adam away! I was the one who was at fault here.

"You! What the fück are you doing here!? Stephen's face twisted in rage at the sight off me. Mustering courage I replied. "I came to visit him." He stood there in what seemed like amusement before he broke into a fist of dark laughter.

"You're pathetic, you hear me? Nobody wants you near him. You're the reason why he's in there!"

"What more could you possibly want lily?" I went pale, this time it was Ivano who spoke up.

What more could I possibly want? Why was I in here? I didn't love him right?

My eyes met his, he looked tired. His hair was tousled dressed plainly which was unlike him. I couldn't make out his expression it was a mixture of pain and anger. "I just want to know if he's okay." My voice came out as a whisper almost as if I was pleading.

Stephen narrowed his thick brows before cursing under his breath. "I'm calling the security."

"Enzo, please." I turned my head towards his direction hoping that he'd agree. "I'm sorry, I really am." Enzo didn't look me in the eye but he tossed a look to Stephen. He looked surprised but covered it up with his usual blank look. "I see how it is." Scoffing as I watched him stride away.

"He's in a critical condition for now, that's what the doctors told us." My palm flew towards my mouth at the heart crushing news. "No-." The hollow inside my chest was back but this time I felt it with a stab.

Adam was strong. He was powerful. A part of me knew that he'd fight it through.

"He's going to be fine lily." Enzo assured but it felt as if he said it to assure himself.

All I could muster was a nod. "Don't blame yourself." Ivano said curtly reading my thoughts. "He knew right away his death was near the moment he stated he was leaving the mafia."

Beyond shocked. "What!?" I screeched. Leaving the mafia was like signing in yourself for death. But why would Adam do that?

"He did it just for you." Ivano answered my thoughts. "A woman, can you believe that?" He shook his head in disbelief before lighting up a cigarette. "You'll be the unluckiest girl out there if he dies." Ivano pointed out blowing the smoke straight into my face.

"Ivano! You should be ashamed, the least we need is more drama and taunting each other." Enzo hissed to which Ivano just shrugged. "If you're lucky he survives, if not then-" he clamped his eyes shut pretending to be asleep. "-he dies."

"Stop." I said in a tight voice.

"He won't die on us like this, he's going to make it."

Ivano rolled his eyes but I caught a look of remorse on his face before it vanished away. "I'm leaving honestly I don't want you here." He admitted before rolling around towards the exist.