Chapter 25. Distraught

Neveah Crow

"Are you really not coming?" Hermione packed her remaining books into her bag, walking back towards the edge of my bed.

"I already told you 'Mione. I don't feel well, I just need a day off." I persisted, covering myself with blankets.

"You've been in bed all weekend." She pulled the blanket off my head. "You have to at least go outside."

"Yeah, yeah, okay." I whined. "But I didn't change my mind, I'm not coming. Go on without me. Tell the boys I'm sick or something."

"Is everything alright? I mean really Nev, be honest." Hermione consoled.

"Yes, I'm fine." I insisted. "Just please go on, I'll be alright."

"Promise you'll at least go outside?"

"Promise."

I watched as Hermione walked out the door. Once it shut, I let out a heavy breath. I rolled over on my back, staring at the canopy of the bed. I hadn't left the room all weekend and even I felt the lack of fresh air.

It wasn't long before I closed my eyes again, only to wake up a few hours later. I stared at the clock on my side table, watching the hands move. I wondered how much time I could waste away just staring, thinking of nothing.

Once the hand had made its thirty-fourth round, I forced myself upright. The sun shot itself into my eyes, causing me to flinch. I stretched every inch of my body, feeling my skin pull.

My mind felt empty. I know I should have a thousand thoughts, but after all this time it seemed to have faded. I didn't have a nervous sensation in my stomach or a headache from overwhelming myself. I just sat, staring, feeling quite blank.

I gradually pulled on a pair of pants along with a hoodie, surrounding myself loosely. I brushed my matted hair and splashed my face with cool water. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and for a moment felt a sense of disgust. It wasn't long before I became careless and walked away. I grabbed my wand from my desk, keeping it close in my pocket.

Creeping through the door, I found the common room empty. It almost felt unfamiliar. I remembered my first day, drinking and playing games. We laughed and made jokes, I was happy. Terrible how things change.

A loud growl broke the silence. I soon realized the sound came from my own body, an empty stomach. Hermione had been the one reminding me to eat, bringing me snacks on occasion. Checking the time once more I realized it was lunch, explaining the quiet rooms.

I made my way to the lower level of the tower. In the opposite direction of the bustling noise, I zigzagged around the castle. I finally reached the doors to the courtyard, forcing them open.

The blue skies and white sun pierced my eyes. Covering my head with my arm, I adjusted to the change in environment. The sun was out but it was terribly cold. Windy, very windy. The grass was still green, on its way to yellow. Birds could still be spotted in the trees.

I walked down, towards the field of grass, staggering down the steep hill. I had no destination in mind, but I did enjoy the peace and quiet. No one was around to judge or stare.

I felt quite proud of myself as I walked through the field. How I made it this far out of my room. On the other hand, it was pitiful. So minor, not nearly enough. My standard had stooped too low.

Slowing my pace I continued along my unmarked path. I stopped in my tracks once I spotted a soft figure in the sunlight. It stared at the trees, letting their arms out freely. The figure was short, and familiar. Eventually they turned in my direction, waving their arm about. Stepping closer I saw the knit blue skirt and bright blonde hair flow in the wind.