Chapter 1. Red

{updated 4.16.21}

Neveah Crow

I wasted 5 years in that hell hole of a so called home. Hidden away all my life. My grandparents thought I was a disappointment. That it should've been me who died, not my parents. I agreed for a long time, sometimes I still do. For right now, I'm finally home.

Hogwarts was always meant to be my home.

I doubt I'll be welcomed warmly. Bloody hell, I'm a Crow. Who wants to be associated with that name? They were killed mysteriously one night and that was the story everyone knew.

The Crows were cruel and cold hearted. I'm not like my family. Despite the name, I have a heart. I think that's what scared my grandparents the most.

Nobody knew my parents had a daughter, besides one family.

The Malfoy's.

Our family's used to be so close, we even spent holidays together. Draco and I were best friends. We were all each other had. It all ended once my parents died. It was like we ceased to exist.

I should've been wondering about the professors, or the students. About the dorm rooms, the classes and the Quidditch games my mother would tell be about when I was a child. Instead, I wondered if he'd remember me.

Before I could attend in the 5th year, the council had me prove I was taught all I needed. Despite my grandparents' cruel ways, they wouldn't allow me to be weak. I was taught everything there was to know since I was just twelve years old.

I passed every test they threw at me. Truth be told, I didn't need to attend Hogwarts, but I wanted to, I needed to. I begged until my grandparents finally caved in. They simply didn't want the trouble of raising me anymore.

And now, I'm here.

I waited in Dumbledoor's office while he had all the students seated in the Great Hall. Rumors of an announcement ran wild through the halls. I sat quietly, patiently, hearing the whispers through the door.

"I heard there's a new girl. In the middle of the year, can you believe that!"

"It better not be another filthy mudblood."

"Do you think this is about you know who?"

Once everyone was settled inside, I was escorted on the other side of the grand door. I was prepared for my entrance. I knew there'd be whispers and eyes following my every move. I knew I had to keep my head high.

"Quiet down everyone." I could hear Dumbledoor speak through the door. "We have a new student attending this year. I expect a warm welcome."

The doors in front of me creaked.

"May I present, Neveah Crow."

The doors were open. With every inch it moved the voices grew. Whispers turned into mumbles, mumbles turned into well spoken sentences. Confusion and surprise written on every face I could make out.

Row by row, heads turned its face towards me. I held my chin high and strutted inside. I hadn't been given a uniform, due to the rushed situation, so I wore my most impressive dress. Diamond on my ears and neck. My black hair slicked back. My heels clicked on the floor, matching the rhythm of my heartbeat. I was always made to impress. I was taught manners, charm, everything to be the picture perfect granddaughter.