Chapter 39. Compromise

Harry Potter

Hagrid had a kettle whistling on the burner as he searched the cupboards for tea leaves. His hut had become a home to the cold halls of Hogwarts. Hermione and Ron didn't stop me from leaving class anymore, and I don't blame them.

I'm distant. I'm frozen. I'm silent. I can't focus. I can't be a friend. Everytime they're with me I see all the work they've put in disappear. After months they can pull themselves through the day while I can't manage a conversation. I'm grateful for the space they've given me, but I miss silent company.

"Raspberry Dragon Blood okay?" Hagrid called from the kitchen, "can't find Hickory Lemon but this one should still calm the nerves."

"Yes, that's fine, Hagrid."

I stared aimlessly at the window. I had tried to focus on the book I took from the library but the words had blurred together. "The Dangers of the Unknown." It was meant to be a simple child's tale, but I found truth in their words. The evils of magic, and how to fight it.

Hagrid sat two mugs on the table before taking a seat.

"What's on your mind today, Harry?" He asked.

"Everything. Nothing." I pondered, "not really sure anymore."

"Come on Harry... you need to wake up. You're friends miss you dearly. We all do."

"I can't be who everyone needs me to be Hagrid. I just can't."

Hagrid opened his mouth to reply, but before he could make a sound the table rattled beneath us. The tea rippled in the cups, then the house shook violently.

"Are there earthquakes at Hogwarts?" I stood from the shivering seat.

"No." Hagrid stood, "this usually means something else."

I rushed out the door, but froze before I could make it past the fence.

In the not so far distance, flames reached the clouds. Except they were not flames at all. Fiery red stormed like a flock of birds. Round and round, higher and higher. The more it grew, the harder the earth shook.

The crimson storm filled with black darker than the sky without stars. The colors fought each other, fighting for who would remain. They surged and sparked. The world trembled beneath me and I struggled to stand straight.

But the feverish glow burned brighter. It was in flames, and the darkness disappeared. She had won. All at once the world went quiet, and the storm was gone just as quickly it had come.

I stuck my hand out, my wand rushing to my hand, and I ran.

***

The sun was long gone, and my breath smoked in the cooling air. I wished for more rash decision making, a coat perhaps. But I knew it was her. It had to be. And that was all that mattered at the time.

I was miles away from Hogwarts by now, and my legs trembled. I could hardly see as branches knocked into me, scraping the skin left exposed.

I wandered for another 30 minutes before I fell into exhaustion. As my head hit the ground, I wondered if I was truly mad. That this was all in my head. Maybe she truly is dead.

***

My skull burned, and my eyes felt like punching bags. My vision was blurred as I regained consciousness. It was no longer cold. I was surrounded by fleece, and a soothing burning sensation comforted me.

"You're awake."

I stood up, clutching my head. I tried to focus on the figure in front of me.

"Thought I lost you," a gray coat unblurred, a fuzzy shade of white sitting on the top.