Chapter 45. Forgotten

Draco Malfoy

The room of requirement was my only gateway to Hogwarts. With everyone leaving for break, I took my chance. I needed to remove anything that could serve as evidence against me. I grew lazy towards the end of the execution of my plan. Forgetting a scarf or a tie could be the end for me.

What I hadn't expected was Neveah Crow.

Frozen in our places, our eyes locked for several silent minutes. She looks confused, sad, angry, scared. She looked healthy, covered in dark clothes. Her grip tightened around her wand.

I decided I was tired of my mind playing games with me. I was tired of mourning my mistakes. I quickly walked past her ghost, not daring to touch her.

I searched the area I worked in most, looking for anything I might have forgotten.

"Lumos." I searched horribly and frantically, wishing to leave her presence.

"Not even a hello?" Her voice sung behind me, her footsteps growing closer.

"Not real... she's not real, Draco." I minded a more playful tone, laughing at my own delusions. I still hadn't looked up from the tables and couches, keeping my head down.

"Think a dead woman would get more acknowledgement around here." She spoke again.

"Get out of my head." I snapped.

"What-"

"Please, Neveah. Please, I can't deal with this anymore. It hurts. I'm sorry, and I'll never have your forgiveness. I'll live with it forever, I promise. Just please, stop." I hung my head, shutting my eyes.

I never gave up on Neveah. I searched for weeks. Every spare second was spent looking for her, a clue, anything. But her ghost hovered over my shoulder every step of the way. She haunted me, reminding me of what I really was. A monster.

There was silence before fading footsteps filled the air. I let out a heavy breath, returning to my search.

I stopped looking, at least for the moment. I had to prepare, scheme, and protect. I was losing my mind and I had to catch it before it was gone. I hadn't realized the months that slipped by, and the way her voice no longer lingered.

Coming back here, to Hogwarts, must've made me lose my mind all over again.

Suddenly, a boom rattled in the near distance. Light entered the room as the doors of the room opened slowly.

A dark figure silently lurked as the doors shut. The man in the cloak casted a light spell, searching. I began backing away, keeping my eyes on him. Without paying attention, I backed into a pile of junk.

Books and glasses crashed to the ground, and the man whipped his head in my direction. Severus Snape.

A small hand grabbed my arm and pulled me quickly. Without thinking, I followed.

Neveah tucked me into a corner of shelves.

Her hands stayed on my arms as she looked in Snape's direction, still hidden. Her hands... They touched me. They were warm. Just like that day.

"You're real." I whispered, more for myself than for her.

"Stay here." She said sternly before drifting away. I wished I had grabbed her, pulled her in, just to be sure my sanity remained.

There was silence before fading footsteps filled the air. I let out a heavy breath, returning to my search.

Neveah Crow

I weaved between the piles of misplaced items, rushing to find Snape. Draco was tucked away behind me and I couldn't gather my thoughts, or even process if what just happened had really happened. Right now, I just need to focus on the plan.