Chapter 30. Burning

Neveah Crow

I should have listened when my mother told me boys were trouble.

Ever since I've arrived at Hogwarts, I've experienced nothing more than near death experiences and traumatic boy problems. How ideal. It has destroyed me in more than one way. I say this like a childish ten year old but, no more boys.

After my talk with Harry I've decided to dedicate myself to my studies. My parents studies, actually. In my freetime I find myself absorbed in their journal. Their world. Not only have I reconnected with my parents, I've discovered something no one could imagine.

Only halfway through, I'm reading it on my way to the common room before my next class. I can't seem to put it down. Never letting it out of my sight. Typically, it had my undivided attention. Until now.

"Hey Neveah." Harry stood outside the painting. "Was just about to look for you actually." He smiled nervously, putting his hands into his pocket.

He waited for a reply, acknowledgement, rocking back on his heels. I was distracted. God how I loved his nervous smile. How have I never noticed it before? Stop. Stop. No boys.

"Hey Harry, what can I do for you?"

What can I do for you? Are you kidding me? Merlin Neveah he's not your colleague. I can't figure out why I'm so flustered. He was looking for me. Why do I like that he was looking for me?

"Are you busy tomorrow?"

"No." My reply was rushed. Too quick. I tried not to let my nerves show. Calm down. You have no reason to be nervous.

"Well then, would you be interested in doing something?" Yes. "Just us?" Double yes.

I stopped myself from the quick answer that was brewing. No boys. Just friends...

"I'd like that Harry." I smiled warmly, hiding my excitement.

"Lucky me. I'll see you tomorrow Nev." He walked away casually and I wondered if it really was just two friends hanging out.

I've never felt nervous, or giddy butterflies. Nothing like this before. With Harry, it was different. No boys. No boys. No boys...

An hour later I sat in Snape's class. Waiting for the lesson to begin, I sat at my usual seat in the corner. Attempting to get through another page in my parents journal, it proved impossible. Reading the same line over and over again. Once again, a boy was distracting me.

I knew I wasn't getting anywhere. I shut the notebook and slipped it into my bag next to me.

"Hi again." Harry whispered as he sat next to me, startling me with chills.

"Hi again." I replied as he smiled warmly before Snape began his lesson.

An hour later, I was ready for lunch. Harry and I walked side by side, our arms barely touching. He kept the conversation going, but I was completely distracted by the possibility of his skin touching mine.

Halfway down the hall I looked for my notes to let him borrow. I quickly realized my journal was missing, rummaging frantically.

"Everything alright?" He asked, stopping with me.

"Yeah, um. Actually I think I left something in Snape's classroom. Meet you in the Great Hall?" He nodded and I was off in the opposite direction.

Standing over my desk was Professor Snape, my journal open in his hands.

"Back so soon, Miss Crow?" His eyes never left the page, "What do I owe the pleasure?"

"I do believe you have something of mine." I sneered, standing in place under the doorframe.