chapter 1

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

SHOCKED YOWLS ROSE from the Clan cats and echoed throughout the forest. At least that's what if felt like to Whitepaw.

Ravenpaw staggered slightly. His right foreleg glistened, wet with blood that flowed from the deep gash on his shoulder. "We m-met five RiverClan warriors beside the stream, not far from Sunningrocks," he went on shakily. "Oakheart was among them."

"Oakheart!" Graypaw gasped beside Firepaw. "He is the deputy of RiverClan. He's one of the greatest warriors in the forest. Lucky Ravenpaw! Wish it would have been me. I'd have really—" Graypaw was silenced by the fierce glance from Lionheart, who stepped beside him,

Whitepaw then strained her ears back to Ravenpaw, "Redtail warned Oakheart to keep his hunting parties out of ThunderClan territory. He said the next RiverClan warrior caught in ThunderClan territory would be killed, but Oak... Oakheart would not back down. He said his Cl-Clan had to be fed, whatever we threatened." Ravenpaw paused to wheeze for breath. His wound was still bleeding heavily, and he stood awkwardly to keep the weight off his shoulder. "That's when the RiverClan cats attacked. It was hard to see what was happening. The fighting was vicious. I saw Oakheart had Redtail pinned to the ground, but then Redtail..."

Suddenly, Ravenpaw's eyes rolled in the back of his head and he lurched sideways. Whitepaw watched in horror as he tumbled off the Highrock and collapsed on the ground below.

A golden-furred queen bounded toward him and crouched at his side. She licked his cheek briefly and called out, "Spottedleaf?! Redpaw?!"
Spottedleaf and Redpaw trotted towards them from the crowd. They hurried over to the unconscious apprentice and Spottedleaf mewed to the queen to stand back. Redpaw sniffed his flank before she glanced up and meowed, "It's alright, everyone, his wounds aren't fatal. But we'll need some cobwebs for the bleeding."

Redpaw sprinted back to her den, the hushed silence in the clearing was broken by a mournful yowl. All eyes turned into the direction it came from.

And to Whitepaw's absolute horror and shock, a massive dark brown main coon tabby staggered through the gorse tunnel. Between his sharp teeth, the warrior held not prey, but a lifeless body of another cat. He dragged the tattered creature into the centre of the clearing.

Whitepaw shuddered at her first dead body, but she didn't show her fear. Her bright green eyes studied the cat. It's the distinctive ginger tail and calico pelt.

Shock rippled through the Clan like a chill breeze. Beside Firepaw, Graypaw dropped into a crouch as grief swept over him. "Redtail!"
Midnightpaw was also shocked across the clearing, her amber eyes wide with fear. "Father?"

Whitepaw felt a pang of sympathy in her chest for the young apprentice and she felt tears ebb their way to her eyes for her new friend. Redpaw had also come out of her den and gaped at her father's corpse. "No!"