chapter 38

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHEN WHITEROSE WOKE again she saw two clear blue eyes staring into her lime-green ones. Cinderpaw leaped back with a squeak of surprise when she realised Whiterose was awake.

"You're awake! Yellowfang she's awake!" Cinderpaw called to the old, dark-grey medicine cat.

"Cinderpaw, you're okay..." Whiterose felt relieved.

Yellowfang padded over and glared at Cinderpaw. "Of course she's awake, the sound of your shuffling paws could wake even the whole of StarClan, now move back." The medicine cat turned towards Whiterose, who had lifted her head to watch the two cats in amusement.

"How is your leg?" Yellowfang questioned, coming to take a look. "Can you move it?"

"Not yet," Whiterose replied, her heart plummeting at the look of self-blame that flashed across Cinderpaw's face. "Although, it doesn't hurt at the moment." It did feel much better than it did yesterday.

"Well, then let's see how much you can lift it," Yellowfang meowed. The old cat stuck a stick in the ground beside Whiterose's leg. It had claw marks intricately carved in it. "This will determine how much you can lift per day, it will tell us if you're healing or not."

Here goes nothing. Whiterose tried with all her might to lift her leg, but the pain was too bad to lift it passed two claw marks.

"We're not looking for any miracles in one day," Yellowfang reassured her. "Your leg was shattered by a monster, then amputated. It will take time for it to heal properly."

Cinderpaw bounced over, looking expectantly at Whiterose, her blue eyes shining with concern. "Do you need anything?" she asked.

"I could do with a piece of fresh-kill," Whiterose meowed, gently. Cinderpaw dipped her head, and quickly scampered out of the tunnel. "And bring some for Yellowfang!" she called after her.

"You have a dedicated apprentice there, despite her not being yours," Yellowfang observed, chewing up some more herbs and spitting it onto her leg, and then straightening it out.

"What have I missed?" Whiterose asked the burning question. Looking at the medicine cat who looked back at her solemnly. "Bluestar has lost another life."

The medicine cat's words sent a chill down Whiterose's spine, now Bluestar only has one remaining life left.

"Anything else?" Whiterose asked, looking questioningly at the older she-cat. Who was hard at working on her leg.

"Yes, your visitors," The older she-cats rasping tone took her by surprise.

"Visitors?" Whiterose looked expectantly at Yellowfang, waiting for her to elaborate. Yellowfang saw her look and huffed. "Well the one's I've seen so far are Cinderpaw, Brackenpaw, Shinypaw, Midnightpaw, Whitestorm, Frostfur, Fireheart, Bluestar and," Yellowfang glanced at Whiterose with an amused look in her orange eyes. "Tigerclaw, on multiple occasions, more than even Cinderpaw and Fireheart," Yellowfang added. "And those two have come in to see you many times."

The old dark gray she-cat watched Whiterose squirm in the nest.

"It's nice to know he cares," Whiterose whispered, her pelt heating with embarrassment. Then a thought occurred. "Didn't Graystripe come and visit me?"

"Not when I've been taking care of you," Yellowfang replied, although there was some suspicion in her orange gaze. "He's been going off a lot, cats hardly see him around anymore. He is always out hunting and I don't think once he been out with Brackenpaw." The older she-cat snorted.

"Who's been taking care of Shinypaw?"

"Well, mentors aren't set in stone right now. We were waiting to see how you would be, but it swaps back and forth between Runningwind, Graystripe and Tigerclaw. Along with training sessions with Longtail and his apprentice Swiftpaw."

Whiterose felt a little relieved at the mention of Runningwind, at least he would be a good, constant mentor. Tigerclaw would be too busy as a deputy and Graystripe... Whiterose felt too disappointed in him to think about it.

"That's good," Whiterose meowed, just as Cinderpaw burst through the clearing with two mice in her jaws. She dropped one in front of Whiterose and then set another beside Yellowfang.

"I picked out the best ones. I had to fight Darkstripe for them, but it was worth it!" Cinderpaw said proudly, puffing out her chest.

"You shouldn't pick fights with senior warriors," Whiterose warned as she took a bite out of the mouse. "But it does taste good." Whiterose complimented. She usually preferred rabbit but this was delicious, too.

"I thought it would!" Cinderpaw boasted, gazing at Whiterose with admiring eyes. "Also, snow has been falling all morning. Leaf-fall must finally be here."

"It must be cold," Whiterose meowed, gesturing with her nose to her nest. "Meaning you must be cold, we can share warmth together."

Cinderpaw looked excited at the thought of getting warm, and looking over to Yellowfang for approval. "Just be careful with her leg and flank." the medicine cat warned. Cinderpaw nodded her head ecstatically and began to slowly creep into her nest, mindful of Whiterose's injuries.

Cinderpaw snuggled into Whiterose's healthy side, and like Whiterose thought, the young apprentice was as cold as ice. Whiterose looked down at her fondly, Cinderpaw shouldn't be too hard on herself, it was just an accident. And Whiterose could take that as a fact. The white warrior curled herself as much as she could around Cinderpaw without disturbing her tail and ribs. Then she fell asleep.