chapter 39

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

"COME ON, WHITEROSE, you can do it!"

Both Cinderpaw and Shinypaw encouraged as Redstream observed them from two tail-lengths away, making sure Whiterose didn't over exert herself. It's been a moon since she had woken up and Whiterose was still learning to balance on three legs.

They were practicing in the medicine den clearing.

Whiterose was getting better at moving swiftly, and because of Yellowfang's training method, she can lift her leg past six claw marks. Fireheart was also nearby with a newly named Midnightclaw, who received her warrior name two moons after Whiterose had her accident. They were both chatting with Yellowfang.

Whiterose found both her brother, Shinypaw and Cinderpaw constant visitors, even dragging along Brackenpaw and Midnightclaw on many occasions like now. Frostfur had come to give her a heartfelt 'thank you' for saving her daughter. Whitestorm had checked on Whiterose a couple of times to make sure she was alright, too. But she hadn't seen Graystripe or Tigerclaw, yet. Whiterose didn't know why but she felt disappointed.

"Congratulations!" Redriver meowed, watching Whiterose only slightly stumble as she walked. "You're really improving!" Whiterose had managed to walk four fox-lengths by herself with only tiny trips here and there. Everything was looking good.

"Can she leave the medicine den, now?" Shinypaw asked and Redstream looked hesitant.

"Oh, let her outside for a while," Yellowfang meowed. "It will do us some good if Whiterose was out of the way for a bit." The old she-cat was upset and Whiterose couldn't blame her. Brindleface's two kits, Tulipkit and Elderkit, died last night. It was an emotionally exhausting experience for all cats.

"Come on, Whiterose!" Cinderpaw nudged the white warriors shoulder impatiently. "You have to see what's going on around the camp!"

Shakily, Whiterose took small kit steps, her legs feeling stiff and weak, but she stretched and shook them out.

Taking a tentative step forward, Whiterose slowly began following the young, energetic she-cat, while being supported on either side by Brackenpaw and Shinypaw. Whiterose flashed them each a thankful look.

When they reached the entrance of the medicine den, Whiterose gazed across the clearing of the camp.

"Whiterose, you're out of the medicine den today." Whiterose turned to see Brindleface sadly sitting outside the nursery. Her kits had Greencough and died under her watch.

Whiterose let herself be guided to the mourning queen and gently sat beside Brindleface, who helped situate Whiterose into a comfortable position.

"How are you doing?" Whiterose whispered.