chapter 25

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHITEROSE WAITED UNTIL the only sound she could hear was the pounding of blood in her ears and the rustling grass and branches in the wind. She padded to the edge of the Thunderpath. It stretched ahead of her, wide and foul-smelling, but silent. Fireheart padded beside her and together they darted out, the ground beneath their paws felt cold and smooth. They didn't stop until they reached the grass on the other side.

Fireheart looked at his sister to see if she was okay, and she nodded reassuringly that she was fine. The air here was tainted by the acrid smell of the Thunderpath and its monsters, so they headed toward the hedge. Still, there was no trace of the WindClan cats. Whiterose's heart sank.

Suddenly, a monster tore past, making Whiterose stumble back in horror whilst Fireheart jumped. Fireheart scrambled underneath a hedge and crouched, trembling, Whiterose padding beside him and looked around. Then she smelt it: the faintest trace carried on the wind that the monster had stirred up. WindClan had been here!

Fireheart must have smelt it, too, because he called as loudly as he could to Graystripe. There was a pause, then the sound of paws pounding across the Thunderpath to join them.

"Have you both found it?" Graystripe puffed.

"Not sure. I got a whiff, but I can't pinpoint it," Fireheart pushed his way through the hedge, Graystripe and Whiterose right behind him. Fireheart lifted his nose toward the open field ahead of them.

"Have you any idea what's over there?"

"No," replied Graystripe. "I shouldn't think any Clan cat has ever been this far before."

"Apart from WindClan," Whiterose mewed softly. After the confusing fumes of the Thunderpath, the trail was suddenly clear. WindClan had definitely come this way. The two cats struck out through the long grass, straight across the field.

"Whiterose—Fireheart!" Graystripe sounded alarmed.

"What is it?" Fireheart asked.

"Look!"

Whiterose lifted her head. She saw a Thunderpath ahead of them arching high into the air on massive stone legs, illuminated by the eyes of the monsters that moved along it. Another Thunderpath ran below, veering off into the darkness.

Graystripe nodded toward a tall thistle. "And smell this!"

Fireheart inhaled the scent, "WindClan." He muttered and Graystripe nodded, "They must have settled somewhere near here!" Graystripe murmured in disbelief.

A pang of excitement and relief flooded through Whiterose. The three cats looked silently at each other for a moment. Then, without a word, they moved on toward the stinking Thunderpath.