chapter 26

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHITEROSE COULD FEEL Fireheart press warningly against her and Graystripe, who both padded out to join him. They had to show no threat if they were to survive.

The WindClan warriors stood their ground without moving a muscle. Whiterose knew they were waiting for a signal from their leader, which was good because that meant they still followed the warrior code.

From behind the line of warriors, a black-and-white tom like Midnightpaw weaved his way to the front. With wide eyes, she stared at his tail, it was longer than Longtail's! This must be the leader of WindClan, Tallstar.

Tallstar sniffed the air, but Whiterose and her companions were downwind, their scents carried away by the steady breeze. As the black-and-white cat walked toward them, Whiterose breathed in the rank odour of crow-food that hung on his coat. But like the two toms beside her, she remained perfectly still, her green eyes down as Tallstar circled them, sniffing their fur closely.

Finally, Tallstar returned to his warriors. Whiterose heard him murmur, "ThunderClan." The warriors flattened their fur, but remained in a defensive line, shielding the rest of the cats.

Tallstar turned to face his visitors and sat down, curling his tail carefully around his paws. "I was expecting ShadowClan," he growled. His eyes burned with hostility. "Why are you here?"

"We came to find you," Fireheart meowed. "Bluestar and the other Clan leaders want you to return to your home."

The WindClan leader's voice was still wary. "That land is not safe for my Clan anymore," he meowed. There was a hunted look in Tallstar's eye that sent a pang of sorrow in Whiterose's heart.

"ShadowClan has driven out Brokenstar," she meowed softly, stepping forward. "He is no longer a threat."

The warriors behind Tallstar turned and looked at one another. Murmurs of surprise rippled back through the Clan.

"You must return home as soon as possible," Fireheart urged. "ShadowClan and RiverClan are starting to hunt in the uplands. We saw a RiverClan hunting patrol near the old badger set while we were on our way here."

Tallstar bristled angrily.

"But they are poor hunters," Graystripe added. "I think they went home with empty bellies."

Tallstar and his warriors purred with satisfaction. Their good spirits encouraged Whiterose, but she could see how weak they were. This Clan would find the journey back to the uplands long and hard. "May we travel with you?" she suggested respectfully.

Tallstar's amber eyes flashed. He knew the question was a tactful offer of help. He looked steadily at Whiterose, "Yes," he replied at last. "Thank you."