chapter 18

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHITEPAW, FIREPAW AND Graypaw retraced their steps to ThunderClan territory. All three were bone-weary and wet though, but they all kept the pace. The storm was beginning to move away. A ThunderClan patrol would be out soon and on Yellowfang's trail. They had to find her first.

The sky was still dark, even though the black thunderclouds were beginning to roll away toward the horizon. Whitepaw was guessing it must be nearly sunset.

"Why don't we head straight to ShadowClan territory?" Graypaw suggested as they ran down the steep hillside onto Fourtrees.

"We need to pick up Yellowfang's scent first," Firepaw explained. "I just hope it wont lead to the ShadowClan camp."

There was a long silence, and they didn't scent Yellowfang until they crossed into the oak woods close to the camp.

Now that the rain had finally stopped, and the scents around them were beginning to return. Whitepaw hoped that the rain had not washed away Yellowfang's trail completely. Firepaw stopped and brushed at a fern with the tip of his nose, and his eyes widened. "She came this way!"

They pushed their way through the undergrowth. The rain was easing, and the thunder was fading into the distance. Time was running out. They pushed on faster.

To her dismay, Whitepaw realised Yellowfang's scent was indeed leading them straight to ShadowClan's territory. Her heart sank. Did this mean Tigerclaw's accusations were true? Whitepaw hoped that each new smell would take them in a different direction, but the trail was unfaltering.

They arrived at the Thunderpath and halted. Several monsters roared by, throwing up fountains of dirty water. The three cats hung back from the edge of the wide, grey track until there was a gap. Then they raced across the path and into ShadowClan territory.

The scent markers that lined the border made Whitepaw's paws tingle.

Graypaw halted and looked around nervously. "I always thought I'd have a few more warriors with me when I finally entered ShadowClan territory," he confessed.

"Not afraid, are you?" Firepaw murmured.

"Aren't you? My mother warned me about the stench of ShadowClan many times."

Whitepaw remembered how Graypaw's mother was Willowpelt, and he was half-brother's with Darkstripe. Small world.

"Our mother never taught us such things," Firepaw mewed, glancing at Whitepaw. "She never taught us much, actually."

The three cats prowled onward, alert to every sight and sound. Graypaw was on the lookout for ShadowClan patrols, and Firepaw for the ThunderClan party he knew must come soon.