chapter 20

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

YELLOWFANG TURNED AND pushed her way into the bracken. Whitestorm and the others followed her.

Whitepaw was tingling with nervousness. She didn't feel the damp chill in the air, her pelt felt hot. But was slightly relieved as Firepaw and Graypaw walked either side of her.

Yellowfang guided them to a small hollow surrounded by thick undergrowth and pointed out the entrance to the ShadowClan camp. The tangled mass of brambles looked very different from the neat gorse tunnel that led into the ThunderClan camp. The camp boundary was full of holes and gaps and the stench of rotting meat wafted toward them.

"You eat crow-food?" whispered Graypaw, curling his lip.

"Our warriors are used for attacking, not hunting," replied Ashfur. "We ear whatever we can find."

"Then Brokenstar is an idiot," Whitepaw hissed quietly. "Doesn't he know that empty bellies mean weak cats? What a moron."

The cats all looked at her with surprise.

"What?"

Firepaw looked amused and shocked, "You've never said anything so mean before."

"He's murdered kits," Whitepaw pointed out. "Don't expect me to be nice about him."

"ThunderClan, hide in that clump of bracken over there," hissed Yellowfang. "It's full of toadstools that will disguise your scent. Wait here till you hear me call."

She stepped back to let the other ShadowClan cats lead the way, tucking herself into the centre of their group as if she were their prisoner.

Whitepaw settled herself with her clanmates among the toadstools, tense and alert. Firepaw's pelt prickled and Graypaw's neck was standing on end. Whitepaw dug her sharp claws into the earth.

Suddenly, yowling erupted from the ShadowClan camp. Without hesitating, the ThunderClan cats sprang from their hiding places and raced through the entrance.

Yellowfang, Ashfur, Dawncloud and Nightpelt were in a well-trodden, muddy clearing, wrestling with six vicious looking warriors. Whitepaw recognised Brokenstar and his deputy, Blackfoot, among them. The warriors looked hungry and battle-scarred, but Whitepaw could see the hard muscles pounding beneath their patchy fur.

Around the edge of the clearing, groups of scrawny cats stared uncertainly at the mayhem. Their skinny bodies seemed to recoil at the violence, while their dull eyes looked on, shocked and confused. Out of the corner of her eye, Whitepaw saw Runningnose back away and hide beneath a bush.

At Whitestorm's nodded signal, the ThunderClan cats leaped into battle.

Whitepaw leaped at a brown tabby tom and sliced his muzzle with her claws. The tom yowled in pain and tried to bite her neck, but she quickly dodged under his belly and raked her claws across his flank. She managed to duck a killing blow and bite into his front leg, making the warrior yowl in pain. He ripped himself free and fled into the bushes.