chapter 41

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

SANDPAW TORE THROUGH the gorse tunnel with excitement, while Fireheart and Whiterose dragged behind. Tigerclaw looked up at them as they stopped in the clearing, his eyes gleaming in curiosity.

Whiterose heard a noise behind her. Graystripe was padding through the camp entrance with Shinypaw and Brackenpaw behind him.

A call sounded from below Highrock. "Fireheart, Whiterose, Sandpaw, how was your patrol?"

Whiterose felt a flood of relief when she saw Bluestar looking her normal self, sitting with her chin high and her tail tucked over her paws. Her eyes looked questioningly at them, her gaze a little concerned at they flickered to Whiterose's leg. Whiterose felt a bit of shame, and angled herself so the view of her leg was out of sight from her leader.

Sandpaw bounded over to Highrock. "The river is frozen," she burst out. "We could cross it easily right now!"

Bluestar gazed thoughtfully at the apprentice. Whiterose felt Fireheart flinch when the ThunderClan leader's eyes gleam.

"Thank you, Sandpaw," Bluestar meowed.

Fireheart leaned over and murmured into Sandpaw's ear. "Come on, let's tell the others." Whiterose watched as her brother and Sandpaw walked over to Dustpaw and the other apprentices.

Whiterose brushed past Tigerclaw as she passed, causing him to purr lightly before he padded over to Bluestar to discuss the matter.

Whiterose sat beside Fireheart as they sat with the apprentices and Graystripe. The white she-cat glanced anxiously at the grey warrior.

"You two looked like you had fun!" Dustpaw spat. "Drowned another RiverClan cat?" He looked at Sandpaw expectantly. Whiterose guessed he was waiting for her to agree with him like she used to, but Sandpaw wasn't listening. Whiterose felt a small prickle of satisfaction at the irritated look on Dustpaw's face as Sandpaw meowed breathlessly, "We found out the river's frozen. I think Bluestar's planning a raid on RiverClan!"

At that moment, their leader's call sounded from the Highrock, and the Clan began to gather in the clearing. The sun had reached its high point, which in leaf-bare meant that it was barely above the treetops.

"Sandpaw, Whiterose and Fireheart have brought good news. The river is frozen over," Bluestar announced. "We will take this opportunity to make a raid on RiverClan's hunting grounds, to send a message that they must stop stealing our prey. Our warriors will track down one of their patrols and give them a warning that they'll remember for a long time!"

Whiterose winced, not even wanting to look to see what Graystripe's reaction. Around her, the other cats raised their voices in eager yowls. Fireheart leaned over to her. "I haven't seen the Clan this excited in moons."

"Tigerclaw!" Bluestar called. "Are our warriors fit enough for a raid on RiverClan?"

Tigerclaw nodded. "Yes."

"Excellent." Bluestar lifted her tail. "Then we shall leave at sunset." The Clan yowled with delight. Whiterose's paws prickled. Was Bluestar going to raid as well? Surely, she wouldn't risk her last life on a border raid?

Finally, Whiterose looked over her shoulder at Graystripe. He was staring up at the Highrock, the tip of his tail twitching nervously. As the yowls died away, Graystripe called out, "It feels warmer today. A thaw would make the ice too dangerous to cross." Whiterose held her breath as the other cats turned to look curiously at Graystripe.

Tigerclaw stared at Graystripe, his amber eyes puzzled. "You're not usually reluctant to fight," the dark warrior meowed slowly.

Darkstripe craned his neck and added, "Yes, Graystripe you're not afraid of those RiverClan fleabags, are you?" Graystripe fidgeted uncomfortably as the Clan waited for an answer.

"Looks like he's scared!" hissed Dustpaw from Sandpaw's side.

Fireheart's ears flickered angrily, but he managed to keep his voice light as he called out, "Yes, of getting his paws wet! Graystripe's fallen through the ice once this leaf-bare, he's not keen to do it again." The tension in the Clan dissolved into amused purrs. Graystripe looked down at the ground, his ears flat. Only Tigerclaw kept his suspicious frown.

Bluestar waited until the murmurings died away. "I must discuss the raid with my senior warriors." she leaped down from the Highrock, landing so lightly that it was hard to believe that she had been fighting for her lives just days ago. Tigerclaw, Whitestorm, and Willowpelt followed her to her den, and the rest of the Clan broke into groups to discuss the proposed attack.

As he was passing her, Tigerclaw's pelt brushed against Whiterose's, sending pleasant ripples along her spine.

"I suppose you expect me to thank you for embarrassing me!" Whiterose heard Graystripe hiss at Fireheart.

"No at all," Fireheart snapped. "But you could at least be grateful I'm covering for you at all!" He turned sharply and stalked away to the edge of the clearing, her fur bristling with fury. Whiterose followed after him, not even glancing at the grey warrior.

Sandpaw ran over to join them. "It's about time we showed those RiverClan cats that they can't hunt in our territory whenever they like," she meowed, her eyes shining.

"Yes, I suppose so," Fireheart answered absently. He couldn't take her eyes off Graystripe. Was Whiterose imagining it, or was the gray warrior edging farther and farther toward the nursery? Was Graystripe planning on slipping away to warn Silverstream?

Fireheart got slowly to his feet and began to pad toward the nursery. Whiterose watched carefully. But Bluestar's yowl broke through the air, causing Fireheart to pause.

"Willowpelt agrees with young Graystripe," Bluestar declared. "A thaw is on the way." Graystripe lifted his chin and flashed a defiant look at Fireheart. Whiterose sighed in relief. Bluestar was going to call off the raid! Now Graystripe wouldn't have to choose between his Clan and Silverstream!

But Bluestar wasn't finished. "So we will attack at once!" Whiterose glanced sideways, Graystripe's look of triumph had turned to one of sheer horror. Bluestar continued, "We will leave a patrol of warriors here to guard the camp. We have to remember the possible threat from ShadowClan. Five warriors will make the raid. I will remain here."

Good, thought Whiterose. Bluestar wasn't planning to risk her final life after all. "Tigerclaw will lead the raiding party. Darkstripe, Willowpelt, and Longtail will go with him. That leaves one more place."

"Can I go?" Fireheart burst out. Whiterose didn't know why he asked, was it so that Graystripe wouldn't have to make a choice?

"Thank you, Fireheart. You may join the patrol." Bluestar was clearly pleased by her former apprentice's eagerness. Tigerclaw didn't look so happy. He narrowed his eyes at Fireheart. "There's no time to lose," Bluestar yowled. "I can smell the warm winds myself. Tigerclaw will brief you as you travel. Go now!"

Darkstripe, Longtail, Fireheart and Willowpelt sped after Tigerclaw. Whiterose followed them with her eyes as they thundered through the gorse tunnel and disappeared through it. Whiterose felt a bit of disappointment, one for not joining them and another without wishing Tigerclaw or Fireheart good luck. She hoped they would get back safely.