chapter 16

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHITEPAW CAME BACK from her hunting and fighting session a few minutes before Firepaw came back with Bluestar, she had done well in her battle training. Tigerclaw says she is ready to become a warrior soon! Whitepaw has never felt more excited than ever, but she shouldn't keep her hopes up, though. She may not be a warrior for a few moons.

Frostfur and Goldenflower were still busy fortifying the nursery walls, but the outer wall looked solid and secure once more.

Firepaw trotted across the clearing to the fresh-kill pile where Whitepaw, Graypaw, Dustpaw, Sandpaw and Midnightpaw sat. Sandpaw and Dustpaw got up immediately and padded past him. Sandpaw murmured something to Firepaw who shrugged and sat beside his sister and Midnightpaw. "Where's Ravenpaw?"

"Not back from his task yet," replied Whitepaw and Graypaw flicked his own tail, "Look at that!" He held out a paw for Firepaw to inspect. The pad was torn and bleeding. "Tigerclaw sent me fishing and I stepped on a sharp stone in the stream."

"That looks really deep," Firepaw meowed. "You should get Spottedleaf or Redstream to take a look at it."

"Where did Tigerclaw send Ravenpaw, anyway?" Midnightpaw asked.

"Dunno. I was up to my belly in cold water," muttered Graypaw. He stood up and limped away toward the medicine den.

They waited for a long time for Ravenpaw. It was nearly moonhigh by now, and they all deflated with relief when the black apprentice came through the gorse-tunnel toward them, mouthful of food in his jaws. "Enough for the four of us!" he mewed proudly. "And it should taste extra good—it's from ShadowClan territory."

Whitepaw gasped, "You hunted in ShadowClan territory?"

"That was my task," Ravenpaw explained.

"Tigerclaw sent you to an enemy territory to hunt!" Midnightpaw hissed, "We must tell Bluestar. That was too dangerous!"

At the mention of Bluestar's name, Ravenpaw shook his head. His yellow eyes looked hunted and shadowed with fear. "Look, just keep quiet, okay?" he hissed. "I survived. I even caught some prey. That's all there is to it."

"You survived this time!" Firepaw spat.

"Shhh! Tigerclaw's looking. Just eat your share and keep quiet!" snapped Ravenpaw. Firepaw and the others went quiet and ate in silence.

"Shall we save some for Graypaw?" Midnightpaw asked through a mouthful. "He cut his paw. We don't know when he'll be back."

"Save him whatever you want," replied Ravenpaw, suddenly sounding worn out. "I'm tired; I need to sleep." He stood up and made his way to the apprentices' den. Midnightpaw soon did the same and it left Whitepaw with Firepaw.