chapter 47

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

RIVERCLAN AND SHADOWCLAN had not yet arrived, but WindClan was already there. Tallstar greeted Bluestar with a respectful nod.

Whiterose spotted Onewhisker and with a nod goodbye to Sandpaw, she and Fireheart walked swiftly over to meet him. "Hi!" she meowed.

It had been over two moons since she'd last seen the small brown tabby warrior who had battled beside her at the gorge. For the first time in ages, Whiterose recalled Whiteclaw's death and felt the familiar bristle of horror as she pictured the RiverClan warrior disappearing beneath the rushing river.

"Where's Graystripe?" Onewhisker asked. "Is he okay?" Whiterose could see from the concern in his eyes that the WindClan warrior was thinking about Whiteclaw's death too.

"He's fine," Fireheart answered. "He's over there with the others."

Whiterose remembered the WindClan queen whose kit she'd helped to carry. "How's Morningflower?"

"Happy to be home," replied Onewhisker. "Her kit is growing quickly now."

Onewhisker's eyes widened when he finally noticed Whiterose's stump. "Great StarClan! What happened to your leg?"

Whiterose, slightly embarrassed, wrapped her tail around to hide it. "I saved an apprentice from a monster, but it got me. It's almost fully healed, though."

"Seems like a lot has happened to you over the last few moons!" Onewhisker mused, and Whiterose couldn't do anything but silently agree on how right he was.

Whiterose's ears pricked as she suddenly detected a fresh scent on the night air. She could smell ShadowClan, too. She scanned the ridge that ran around the edge of the hollow. Sure enough, RiverClan cats were streaming down one side. On the opposite ridge, Whiterose saw ShadowClan cats poised at the top, their coats gleaming in the moonlight. The lean figure of Nightstar stood at the head of the group.

"At last," growled Onewhisker. He spotted them as well. "It's too cold to be hanging around tonight."

Whiterose nodded absently. She was searching the crowd of RiverClan cats as they entered the clearing, looking for Silverstream. She recognized the pale gray she-cat easily. She skidded to a halt at the bottom of the slope, then followed her father as he exchanged reserved greetings with the warriors from the other Clans.

Nervously, Whiterose scanned the growing throng of cats for Graystripe. Would he dare speak to Silverstream tonight? The gray warrior had his back to Silverstream while he talked with a WindClan warrior.

Whiterose and Fireheart were watching Graystripe so closely that they didn't hear Deadfoot approach. "Good evening, Fireheart and Whiterose," meowed the WindClan deputy. "How are you two?"