chapter 43

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHITEROSE WOKE EARLY the next morning. The sun hadn't risen yet and the space beside her was empty, signalling that Tigerclaw must have left late last night. But despite him not being there that morning, a purr came from her throat anyway. 

Coming to stand on her paws, Whiterose saw that Yellowfang was asleep, curled up in her nest and snoring loudly. Whiterose didn't want to wake her, so she crept over toward the entrance of the medicine den clearing.

Whiterose regained her balanced and stalked over to the nursery, crossing the clearing. But what made her pause was surprising. It was a little grey kit.

"Ashkit?" Whiterose mewed. The kit swivelled it's gaze towards her, blinking. He looked lost and confused. It made her purr at the little tom-kit fondly. "I think you should get back to your mother."

Whiterose picked up the kit by the scruff and placed him down at the entrance. She then nudged the kit gently. "Go on back to your nest."

Ashkit disappeared back into the den and Whiterose turned tail to see Tigerclaw washing his whiskers nearby. With renewed energy, she bounded over towards him, keeping her three paws in check as she padded up to him. Tigerclaw watched her with his amber eyes smouldering in the dawn light.

"Whiterose," he greeted, seeming pleased to see her. There was something new in his tone that Whiterose couldn't place.

"Tigerclaw," Whiterose meowed back, leaning against his side. They sat like that in peaceful silence until the dawn light appeared overhead and rest of the Clan began to wake up.

"Whiterose," the she-cat in question turned her head and saw a wide-eyed Cinderpaw and Shinypaw emerge from the apprentice's den. "Are you ready to be our mentor again?" she asked, rushing over and almost crashing into both Whiterose and Tigerclaw.

Whiterose didn't answer, instead it was Tigerclaw who did. "She's still recovering, today you will be spending time hunting with the other apprentices." Tigerclaw's voice was stern, his tone holding no argument.

"By the time you let me start hunting again, I might be in the elder's den!" Whiterose meowed in amusement, but her eyes shone with care. "What is it that I'm to do today?"

"I'm still thinking," he meowed back, his own eyes shining in mirth. "And you'll be back to hunting in no time." he added, quickly.

When the clearing began to fill slowly, Tigerclaw gestured to the snow-covered fresh-kill pile. Whiterose padded alongside Tigerclaw. Cinderpaw and Shinypaw following behind, both talking about their training process to Whiterose who listened with keen interest. While Tigerclaw scraped the snow off of the pile of prey.

"I'm very impressed," Whiterose told them after they finished talking about what they had learned. She flashed an amused look over at Tigerclaw. He pulled out a young rabbit, his eyes twinkling as he gestured for the apprentices to have their turn at picking out their own fresh kill. The two youngsters took their turns and Tigerclaw signalled for Whiterose to follow him.